Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having trouble tracking down what the reason behind this wobble is. Its a real stumper for me. In the rear the left tire has a side to side wobble and the right has a up and down wobble. I have new tires and had the store I bought them re-balance them 3 times. I have replaced axle bearings, axle shafts, and yoke outer bearing. I took the rims off and put the lugnuts on the drums and put it in drive and it still had a wobble. I switched sides with the drums and the wobble is still the same on both sides. Is the lim slip carrier making it wobble like that? I am planning on replacing it as soon as I get the money up and find the right carrier. Would bearings on the carrier be making it do this. Short of buying a new rear diff im out of solutions.

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
No, the differential won't make it do that unless it's extremely damaged. I've never seen one damaged enough to cause that. Axle bearings won't make it do that.

When you replaced the axles did you use new axles or used axles? Most of the time this type of problem is due to a bent axle flange or the axle shaft is bent. I would have said that the wheels are probably bad, but you said that it does it with the wheels removed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I installed brand new never used axle shafts. That's what is messing with me. There doing the same exact thing the old ones were doing. A slow hop while doing 5-15 MPH and a hell of a wobble while doing 50-60.

·
Premium Member
3,595 Posts
Start at the driveshaft, u-joints, pinion yoke, rear end, make sure the centering caps on yoke are not worn or off center. This would explain everything you have checked with no results found. If you are off center, everything from there back will be transmitting the wobble. I can't think of anything else right now. In diagnostics often you check point to point. If everything you mentioned has produced no result, keep moving, now you are in front of the differential. What do you find?

·
Premium Member
4,507 Posts
Start at the driveshaft, u-joints, pinion yoke, rear end, make sure the centering caps on yoke are not worn or off center. This would explain everything you have checked with no results found. If you are off center, everything from there back will be transmitting the wobble. I can't think of anything else right now. In diagnostics often you check point to point. If everything you mentioned has produced no result, keep moving, now you are in front of the differential. What do you find?
Good advice, I'm betting driveshaft / yoke centering issues.

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
hello pinion angle high or low would do this, possible axle tube r or l side, check axle tube length both sides, i seen a tube walk or turn
good luck

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
You need to set up a dial indicator on the axle flanges and see if you have a problem there. Turn by hand to check. Be sure not to push in and out on the axle as you turn it. There is a little axle end play that can give you a false reading if you move the axle in and out as you turn it. After you eliminate the axles as the problem then start looking in other places.

·
Registered
208 Posts
KISS Get another set of rear tires, borrow a pair if possible. I'll almost bet $'s you have some slipped belts inside one or both tires. It seems weird, but I've seen the same thing many times in working for a tire shop for 30 years.

The key clue to me was the low speed wobble and then again at a specific higher speed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will get a magnetic dial indicator from a friend today and check the flanges and the driveshaft centerage. I recently rotated the tires after my last service and the fronts are fine, its the rear tires that have the wobble still. So I know its not the tires. I also have taken them in and had them inspected and balanced 3 times because I thought that was the problem from the start. I will use the dial indicator to see if the shafts are off without letting them move in or out and I will check if the driveshaft and yoke are centered.

·
Premium Member
2,150 Posts
you could just put the front wheels on the back, but you're having the same issues with the wheels off. try jacking up the back end & disconnect the drive shaft. you may be able to spin the wheels fast enough to see if they wobble. let's us know what you find, I'm curious. good luck
hmardown

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
Bent axle tube (pushed back 1/4") caused rear wheel wobble in my ElCo. Took it to a good axle shop who straightened the tube and rebuilt the rear end with new axles and bearings. No problems since.

·
Super Moderator
13,145 Posts
Tim,
Dont take this the wrong way but if this "wobble" is as bad as it sounds it should be something very obvious. Have you actually had a shop look at it or are you just taking the tires off and having them checked by themselves ? It really sounds to be like either you have two terribly bent axle flanges or the wheels are not fitting the axles properly. What kind of wheels are they ? Are you using the correct lug nuts for the wheels ? Do the wheels fit the centering flanges on the axles ?

Either that or you are not describing this "wobble" properly. Any chance you can take a video of what is happening ?

Like I said, this should be something very obvious. Don't spend a bunch of money on more parts without having someone else take a look at it first.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
It's insane to me in this day and age where instead of posting a simple video of the issue it has to be described in detail like we have some glass ball for figuring this stuff out. Post a video of the issue, this will make it much easier to solve.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I thought about posting a video and I will if I can not track down the problem with the dial indicator this weekend. I have an axle repair shop near me that im thinking about taking it to next week if I cant figure it out. The rims are solid aluminum, don't know the exact type and the lugs nuts are new and do fit properly. I have had the tires rebalanced 3 times thinking that was the problem from the start. The axles and bearings are all new installed so unless I got parts that are exactly bent the way the old ones were they are good. I took the wheels off and put it in drive and saw the wobble in the drum so its something not the wheels. I am running my tests and troubleshooting this weekend and I will see what I can find. I will post a video of the wobble if it is still there.

·
Premium Member
7,053 Posts
Measure the ID of the wheel opening compared to the OD of the axle flange centering hub. It sounds as if the wheel is not seating on the drum. I've run in to that problem with aftermarket universal wheels in the past.

·
Registered
1971 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu
7,422 Posts
To me it has to be axle flanges that are out of square with the surface that runs in the bearing or you can also check to make sure that on the axles in the corner where the flange surface and hub center join it doesn't have too big of a radius causing the rotor or drum not to sit flat against the flange. One other thing, is your car being supported under the axle with stands or is it hanging free and a bounce out of the suspension is causing it to look like it's wobbling.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts