Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just rebuilt my 396 in my 69SS. All the performance goodies. Well over 400HP. My problem is that I can spin my rear tires some, but not that smokey black skid mark leaving kind of spin. The car has 4.56 gears w/ posi and a 4-speed. With that gear I would think I should be able to roast the tires no problem. The only traction adders I have are rear air bags and SSM lift bars. What gives??????

------------------

W

·
0 Posts
The deeper the gear the less the spin. I know it sounds strange. If the car is hooked, you don't want to spin anyway. But if wheel spin is your thing, put a 3.08 in and it will spin into next week.

[This message has been edited by Wally (edited 06-06-99).]

L

·
0 Posts
It's one of a couple of things...either your engine isn't making as much power as you thought, or you're just hooking very well...especially if your using sticky tires. With the 4.56s you ought to be blazing them. I think it's the latter, you're hooking up great, which should be looked at as a good thing. Long, long strappers doesn't necessarily mean you got huge horsepower, just that you're not putting the power to the ground.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Diddo Wally's post BigYellow. Using a stout 383 small block and TH350 combo, I went from a 3.08 one-pegger 'wheel spinning pig' to a 4.10 posi. The amount of total wheel spin from a dead stop really dropped off after the switch. My best guess as far as distance on dry concrete would have been around 75-100 feet with the one-pegger 3.08 and now it will spin maybe 30 feet before hooking up using the posi.

Even with 4.56 gears, a manual tranny behind 400 horses should be spinning the tires some (radials I assume?) but it will not be long and lengthy. Keep in mind that those traction devices you are using are also doing their job.

In my case, after the switch the engine was having to turn the crank 1.02 times more to get the wheel to spin one revolution. It makes sense if you think about it. I have found a fix though...a little nitrous 'powershot' will add several yards to your mark!

------------------
Chevellz Alwayz!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know traction is a good thing. Yes I'm running radials, but im 18 and still in high school and you know how kids love a smokey burn out. Basically boys being boys. I was just wondering. Thanks for the replies.

------------------

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Bigyellow, to reiterate what the other fellas have said, some of would kill for a rear susp that "hooks up" and doesn't spin. Like I always say a loud chirp and air under the front tires is waay cooler. Anyway, have you considered buying some cheap sh%^ hard rubber compound tires to fry off? I'm serious, buy some cheap tires with a high wear rating ( harder compound ) and blaze away, if you're that serious about smokin' 'em. Your nice radials are probably working too well!

·
Premium Member
17,525 Posts
If all you want to do is impress all your friends at school with lots of tire smoke, here is the way I do it. And its free...
First, you have to rev up the motor a little, then dump the clutch and immediately stab the clutch with your "Brake" foot. The car should be spinning the tires, with one foot on the gas and the other on the brake pedal. Apply just enough pressure to the brake to keep the car from rolling, and you can spin all day long, or at least until the tires blow. You can also ease up on the brake pedal to let the car slowly roll down the street with the back tires leaving two dark lines all the way. It takes some practice, and it can be rough on the back brakes, but with practice, you will impress everyone, except the police and the neighbors.
With practice, it can also have no effect on your engine. I find that my Chevelle (396 & 4-speed) has no problem smoking the tires while keeping the RPMs at around 3500-4000. No worries about over-revving the motor. Once I am satisfied with the marks & smoke, I let off the brake and floor the accelarator until it hooks, or I decide to bank second...
Best of all, its free, and you still have a car that can hook up if it needs to.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.