Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,488 Posts
Got a M20 that has been rebuilt and has about 10,000 miles on at most. Car had been running fine and was time to back off the clutch as it was getting tight. This is my Dads car I think he let it go a little long before asking me to back the clutch off.

I shorten the rod and it seemed to not of helped so I put it back where it was and now the car will only go in gear with the car off. If you crank it will not go in gear.

Is the clutch simply not disengaging and needs to be backed off 5 to 6 turns at least?

Could the clutch be burnt up?

·
Registered
14,977 Posts
Re: Cant get Munice in gear/Clutch disengagement

You mean you made the rod LONGER to get it to disengage more right? How much free play do you have right now? Jim

·
Premium Member
11,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

You mean you made the rod LONGER to get it to disengage more right? How much free play do you have right now? Jim
Yes, I back out the rod and shorten it. I may of been mistaken earlier in thinking that shortening the rod would help with disengagement. I never had this kind of issue on my car.

Im not sure what the free play is right now. It will not go into gear when the engine is running. Have to place it in gear with the car off.

·
Super Moderator
9,621 Posts

Pilot bushing piled up maybe.

·
Premium Member
11,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Super Moderator
9,621 Posts

The snout on the front of the transmission resides in a bushing in the crankshaft when the trans is installed. If the bushing piles up or is made of non brass they attach to the trans snout and prevent it from stopping when the clutch is disengaged (pedal depressed). This prevents the transmission from engaging in any gear as it is all rotating and not allowing engagement until the car engine is shut off.

·
Premium Member
11,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

The snout on the front of the transmission resides in a bushing in the crankshaft when the trans is installed. If the bushing piles up or is made of non brass they attach to the trans snout and prevent it from stopping when the clutch is disengaged (pedal depressed). This prevents the transmission from engaging in any gear as it is all rotating and not allowing engagement until the car engine is shut off.
It has a NAPA brass pilot bushing. Was working fine, till I tried to adjust for a heavy and hard pedal. It was engaging almost at the top of the clutch pedal travel.

Could something of changed?

Could of something caused the bushing to pile up as you say?

·
Super Moderator
9,621 Posts

The bushing's can be made of brass with steel. You need to test them with a magnet.
You may also have a bad clutch with a bent finger or diaphragm????

·
Premium Member
11,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

The bushing's can be made of brass with steel. You need to test them with a magnet.
You may also have a bad clutch with a bent finger or diaphragm????
Im pretty sure its solid brass. I guess I will have to test it when the tranny comes out. Im hoping it was something else.

Im thinking the bushing is ok and its a bad clutch....

·
Registered
1971 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu
7,411 Posts

Was the clutch set-up a new unit or rebuilt. You should have to lengthen the rod not shorten it.

·
Premium Member
11,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Was the clutch set-up a new unit or rebuilt. You should have to lengthen the rod not shorten it.
It was a brand new clutch about 6,000 miles ago.

Lengthen the rod? As in turning the rod to the left? I was thinking to shorten it...if it started to get to tight.

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts

I think you are getting your wires crossed. You will need to make the rod longer thus reducing the amount of free play. If you shorten it you will have too much free play and you won't have enough travel to disengage the clutch.

·
Registered
7,411 Posts

Yes, you want to lengthen the rod that goes between the Z-bar and clutch fork. If you shorten it the pedal would have to travel further just to make the throw out bearing contact the clutch fingers and there will not be enough distance left to release the clutch fully even though the pedal is to the floor.

Reactions: p40

·
Premium Member
934 Posts

Sounds like you might have been "thinking to much".
The clutch wears with use thus the need for a longer rod to make all work properly.
Sometimes we need to stand on our heads to see what is wrong, a different perspective so to say.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
11,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Ok fellas thanks for the information and guidance. I think based on this that the linkage may just be out of whack causing it not to go in gear. I will lengthen the rod to try and get it to go in gear.

This leads me back to where I was start with. What is causing the car to grind when trying to get into reverse? I was thinking improper clutch adjustment. Sometimes going to a forward gear then to reverse helps, but not always.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts

Should just be the adjustment on the adjusting clutch rod. Other things it might be: Pilot bushing, check the z bar for the welds and bushings on it. Having the proper clutch fork and fork ball stud it is mounted on, helps with the correct geometry and that influences where the pedal is too. Having had the bell housing dialed in, when set up, helps this action as well. Many variables but the adjusting rod should be first. The shifter linkage can get loose as well and cause this kind of situation.

·
Registered
14,977 Posts

Grinding when going I to reverse to first or vise versa. Make sure you come to a compete stop before switching throwing it into gear usually helps. You see these guys backing get out of a parking garage lot, car still lolling backwards and then putting the car in first sometimes makes it grind. Jim

·
Registered
7,411 Posts

I had the same issue when I got my car with the grinding in reverse as you have. I noticed I had to really mat the pedal to the floor and put it into reverse slowly. I ended up having to lengthen the rod to get the clutch to release fully sooner and that cured the problem.

·
Premium Member
14,032 Posts

When needing to go into reverse, first put the trans into a forward gear, this stops the trans internals from turning,then try reverse, you may need to ease the clutch out a hair as the reverse gears are straight cut and not syncronized!!

·
Premium Member
11,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Thanks for the replies.

Got everything sorted out today and lengthen the rod some and now the free play is around 1" and I decided to call it the day on the adjustment. The reverse still wants to click a little when going into it, not sure I could tune it out or not.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts