Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are working on a 76 Camaro. I stopped at the auto parts store (Napa) and they told me that 69 key cylinders were all by themselves and 70 to 77 were all alike. We have taken the steering wheel and turn signal switch off. We have also pulled the terminal for the key buzzer. To the left of the key cylinder there is a slot in the steering column housing above the steering shaft the slot is aprox. 1/2" high by 1/8" wide. Looking down this slot we see the left side of the key cylinder and it only covers half of the slot. The other half of the slot is open as if the key cylinder does not completly go in far enought to cover the whole slot. We see no tab to push to allow the key cylinder to come out. We also are trying to keep the key buzzer tab up. The key that is in the key cylinder is not the right one. And won't work. We have stuck a #10 gauge wire with a 90 degree bend in the slot and the key buzzer hole hoping to find a tab that would release it. Well, the key cylinder is still in the car. And we are typing a help letter.
Thank you, Stano, Amy, & Annie
Stano,(wire-poker) Amy & Annie (trouble light holders)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When we were at the parts store I thought if the 76 Camaro cylinder was the same as 69 Chevelle, I'd just buy it and have an extra for our 69. However, they were different on the inside towards the front of the car. I remembered seeing the latch, but when we got home, I couldn't remember if the latch was on the rear facing the rear of the car or on the bottom of the cylinder facing the bottom of the car. I think from viewing your picture, I will have to drill out the steering column housing where the latch is with the help of having the new one in hand to locate the drilling. But, my concern is damaging the housing to the point where it won't hold the new one. From viewing the picture of the latch the slot opening I have in our housing views about a quarter inch to the left of the latch in the picture. It is like the slot opening does not match up with the latch. They are approximately 1/4" apart in different locations. Thank you for your help. Stano

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
I think that latch will be inline with the locked pointer on the steering column, or the notch on the chrome ring part when it is in the locked position. You really should be able to access it through the slot you have without drilling the column, unless they really changed alot by 76. I just can't imagine that slot being there for any other reason.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, something doesn't seem right here. I bought a new key lock cylinder from Jockos today for $16.00, which I didn't think was too bad. I took it home and compared it to the broken cylinder that was still in the housing. The latch tab, I thought, would be about 1/4" to the right of the slot in the cylinder housing. I would think that the spring latch in the key cylinder would come up directly in line with the slot in the housing, but it did not. It was like the first reply said, it was approximately 1/4" to the right of the slot with absolutely no way to get to it. I drilled a hole 1/8" and hit the latch half off. I redrilled the hole a little bit to the right and there was the spring latch. I took some #10 copper and pushed through the hole. It took a few tries and BINGO the cylinder latch came out. I compared the new key cylinder to the old key cylinder and the spring latches appear to be in the same spot. While working on the housing last night, I accidently dropped a spring keeper off of the buzzer switch down inside the housing. To assure there would be no future problems, I pulled the housing off of the column to retrieve the spring keeper. This also gave me a better view of looking at the key cylinder housing and, Yup, there is a groove in the key cylinder housing where the latch should be about 1/4" from the slot opening (slot opening accessible with steering wheel off) with no way to push the spring latch out of the groove except for drilling a new hole. Can this be? We have a '69 Chevelle which were are going to start work on in a couple of weeks. I do not have much knowledge of these key cylinders because our other cars which we have worked on are dash keyed (1965 & 1962). Once again, the spring latch in the key cylinder did not come up where the slot opening was. It came up in a groove in the housing with no access to push it down except for drilling a hole. Can anyone tell me if this is the way it is suppose to be? Thank you. Stano

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.