Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 66 is running and driving. I have the headliner and visors to install and the majority interior stuff is done. I planned on swapping the wheels and tires to US mag 102u and same size tires all the way around. But came across a pair of 6" drag lites and replaced the 3.5" pizza cutters so I think the drag lites are staying. Id love a set of edlebrock heads to replace the old smog heads on the motor now, but the price of the heads, bolts, gasket etc I can buy a base crate motor and have a brand new motor in the car. My budget is around $1500. A big block swap would be great but I dont know if I want to go through the hassle right now. The 12 bolt swap is actually the closest to finish. I just have to haul the parts to the differential shop and have the 2.73s swapped to a 3.07 or 3.31 posi.
So as I sit here writing this, its suppose to help me find a direction for the car. Which it really isn't.
We all know a car is a never ending project. Sometimes we just get stuck. Went to the zip tie drags last weekend and thats sort of what got me motivated to do something with the car. Jim

·
Registered
397 Posts
Yep, these cars are never "done". But if they were, what would we have to look forward to. It looks like the 12 bolt is your best bet. It's always rewarding for me to complete something so I can drink beer and look at my accomplishment, so a quick turn project gets me that gratification. Keep eyeballing those heads...I'm doing the same thing. My recent completions are - fixed oil pan leaks, new billet flywheel/bellhouse align (clutch chatter), GMPP intake, New stock height rear springs (wheel hop with the wagon springs). I can't test drive the car because of our record setting horrible winter, roads have been snow covered for weeks. So damn sick of it that I booked a trip to AZ end of next week! Good luck.

·
Registered
14,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In the last year (got the car in November 2015) I installed a used but 're ringed, bearings, cam 350. M-20 muncie. Disc brakes up front. New front suspension, alignment,new rear springs and shocks, boxed lower control arm and a sway bar. New seats covers, door panels, weatherstrip kit carpet armrests etc.
The differential is the stock 3.08 open right now. Ive got the 12 bolt upper arms and frame brace to swap with the rear. Then its onto deciding on weather a 454 is in the cards. I've got this original sort of hard to find 12 bolt 4.10 posi out of a 69 chevelle that might make for some good bartering material.
Or just say the heck with it and run the 4.10s like the old days. Its not like I take the car on the highway. Jim

·
Registered
397 Posts
I running a beefed up 10 bolt with 3.73's...too many rev's for me. I'm thinking of a Gear Vendors or 3.36's. I don't know if the 3.36's would make enough difference to justify the cost, but the GV overdrive is 3K. SO none of that's getting done soon. I have many small projects to do to keep the dream alive, things like fuel line/regulator, throttle rod heim joints, oh and I also have to make adjustments to windows, etc. As long it as it is never done, I'll have something to do. Your package sounds like it will be fun once the posi is in, as long as the motor pulls strong. Gears greatly enhance the fun factor. I had a '67 before the one I have now with a fairly basic but strong 350, M20 and 3.55's posi 10 bolt... it really tore it up and I didn't have to care about the motor. It's all fun till someone looses an eye...

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
Sounds like you want the 12 bolt (in preparation for a BBC with 500+ HP) Id vote for 3.73s...and a GV Overdrive OR 700R4 or another OD tranny....it's sooooo fun spinning tires with a posi on the street at 60mph!!!

·
Registered
14,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
maybe you could get it painted :grin2:
Six cans of krylon is my idea of paint! I went to the roadkill zip tie drags last weekend. Im more on the same page with those guys.
Nothing wrong with pretty paint, just not for me. Id rather have a decent interior, nice motor and something I can park at wal mart and not worry about shopping carts. Id rather have the person pulling in with a new car think twice about parking next to me. Jim

·
Registered
14,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Forgot about a set of old school fuelies 461's I had in the shed thats been rebuilt, Probably use those and save a bunch of money.
The 12 bolt will be nice, its just the 3.08 open in the car now runs fine and the 350 really isnt putting out any power so the 12 bolt would be a overkill for now. Im going to clean up the engine compartment, adding M/T valve covers, new air cleaner, a dash mat for the inside and probably attempt the headliner when it warms up.
I will probably call next week to see what it costs to have the guts swapped out on the rearend. Even if I dont use it right away, having the gears and posi in it would make it convenient. jim

·
Registered
422 Posts
I'm ready for another car myself. I'm keeping the Chevelle, but I'm thinking.... do I want to put in another $15-20k to get the car perfect or would I rather just keep the Chevelle a nice driver and spend the $20k on a something else. I'd like to get a 2000-2004 Vette with a LS1. Something that would fill the gap between my DD and the Chevelle. Something that would be more comfortable on long trips and not worry so much if its going to rain or not. Something like this....

2001 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
8,733 Posts
Jim stick those fuelie heads on, that was the big thing we all did to sbc back in the day to get some power, are they 1.94 or 2.02 int? really don't matter I guess because they got to be better than smog heads, if you don't highway drive much put a lower gear and it'll be a whole dif car.

·
Registered
14,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Heads are 1.94-1.50. Im going going take both sets of gears to the diff shop and let them tell me if there is any issues with them. If they seem good to go, ill go with the 3.31's

1 - 12 of 12 Posts