Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the opportunity to buy a 1989 Trans Am GTA very attractively. I'm going to pirate the 350 TPI motor and sell it to a guy from work, and should have just about nothing in the car at that point. I know the 700R4 trans will work well on my daily driver Chevelle, but are there any other parts I can use, as far as the four wheel disc brakes, etc? Anybody interested in a cheap GTA body?

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
is it in bad shape??? keep in mind that IS the Chevelle SS454 of the 80's, and the prices are already going back up. can't use anything off of it really, but i'f it's not feasable to restore, then i'd use the whole engine/tranny/computer combo. serpentine belt system, etc. nice rides. (can you tell i've had over 10 TPI cars
)

------------------
1970 SS396 AKA 454/4spd
My Chev-Hell Page
Member #783
Ft.Worth, Tx
Big Block Chevy.net
proud owner of this site
(oo|ss|oo)

·
Registered
73 Posts
I believe that that is the year that has the rear disk brakes that will bolt on to an a-body rear.

If so, take the rear disks, and the mounting plate. The emergancy brake and cable. Proportioning valve and maybe the master Cyl.

[EDIT] 72SSabody - thanks for posting the correct years of the rear disk swap.

Sorry if my post confused anyone.

Tom.

[This message has been edited by thaynes (edited 06-04-2001).]

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Thaynes,
The rear disks off of a T/A from '79-81 WS6 is what you are thinking of.

I personally would use the '89 as a daily driver unless the car is a total mess. But remember this. It's your car. Do what you want with it and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The car really would make a nice daily driver, has leather interior, power seats, all the creature comforts. I just can't afford another car, have a '69 SS and a '71 Malibu already.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Don't forget he steering box (and power steering pump). These will work in an a-body and provide stiff feel and quick ratio.

------------------
Charles Perrell
[email protected]
65 malibu SS Convertible
283 2v powerglide

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.