Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 69 triple black SS. (or at least I think so). The tag says" Made in Canada". Where was it made? I didn't know they made Chevelles in Canada. I posted a message on the de-coding section and a nice person told me that Canadian GM dealers or DMV or something kept records and I could write them and send $40 and they'd send me the history of the car. Is this true, and if so, does anyone have the address? Also if you tell by the cowl tag, the #'s are on the de-coding forum. Also, if my car is from Canada, can I drag race in the Import class at the track?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Jimmy,

Yes, there is a GM division in Canada. Your car (and mine) were built in Oshawa, Ontario. It is a lucky thing for us both because GM Canada kept detailed records of the cars they built, unlike their US counterparts. The informantion packet you mentioned is not the history of your car (all the owners) but how your car rolled off the assembly line. It will include detailed information regarding engine (inlcuding output & the numbers stamped on the block), transmission, trim, and all the items installed on the car at the plant. This info is as good, if not better than finding the ever ellusive build sheet. It will also tell you if your car is a REAL SS. Do a search for the 800 phone number. Have your VIN ready when you call.

Yes, the cowl tag will have some, but not all, of the body's RPO numbers. Mine lists Console, Defogger, Rear Speakers, Vinyl Roof, Bucket Seats, and most importantly SS396!!!
**Note** Canadian cars can be verified true SS by their cowl tag (at least 70 models for which I can speak.)

As for racing Import class, that would be funny, but not at all very sporting

------------------
??michael j Team Chevelle Gold #77
70 Chevelle SS396 4sp, Fathom Blue/White Stripes - Canadian built

·
Registered
174 Posts
mine was made in canada too, still in the province it was made in. i have e-mailed gm canada about the info and here is what they told me <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Your request can be processed through our Vintage
Department.

The information will be provided on a research basis
and will include all available information such as:
option content, selling dealer, original paint and
trim, production/shipping date, production plant,
engine number, quantities of the model produced/sold
in Canada, and copies of Motor Vehicle Manufacturers
specifications or sales data as available. The
information that is available depends on the year of
the vehicle.

If you are interested in a Vintage Package, you are
welcome to call 1-888-467-6853. There is a fee for
this service.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> i havn't ordered it yet but am going to over the winter.

------------------
OWNER OF 66 CHEVELLE MALIBU
Check out page dedicated to resto of my chevelle. still being made.
www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Shop/9801/
Team Chevelle # 424
Canadian Classics Chevelles and Beaumonts #393

Fav Quote: Second place is the first loser...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.