Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys/gals,
My throttle cable is about 4-5" too long. I curently have it half loped back toward the firewall and held in place with a zip tie. Not only does it look stupid, I'm sure I'd get a smoother pull on the carb with a straigt line. I've been thinking about shortening it but don't want to wind up having to rig it after I cut it. Any advise is appreciated. Matt.

·
Registered
290 Posts
For get cutting i would just not trust it
what year car do you have there should be lots of donors out there.

------------------
http:/hometown.aol.com/ddppell/myhomepage/profile.html
Don Pell 66 396 Beaumont.
Once bitten twice shy.
Don Pell 66 396Beaumont.
Once bitten twice shy

·
Registered
95 Posts
I got a "universal" throttle cable from Lokar and I had to shorten it a bit as well.

I can't remember off the top of my head how I did it (I'll pop the hood and definitely check tomorrow...I have to tighten belts anyway), but I think it had a plastic sleeve over it (like a bike brake cable) that I was able to pull the cable out of. Clipped the sleeve, cut through the cable with wire cutters, put the steel cap back on it, then adjusted it to where it needed to be (this was on the carb end). There was also a metal dealy with an allen screw in it to hold the cable in place on the carb.

If you can find one you don't have to "modify" then go ahead and look, but if not, you can clip them to fit...

I'll get extra info tomorrow though and make sure I'm thinking of the right cable.

------------------
--Amanda TC #744

Proud owner of a 68 ElCam

My Web Site

Me!

"Bad ass toys aren't just for boys!"

·
Premium Member
5,068 Posts
How did you end up with a ble that much longer??

My (not so) most receint "problem" was about 1" of slack on the throttle cable. AFter some searching on the topic and one post and found my answer. I altered (bent) the lever assembly where the gas peddle attaches to the floor/cable.

the cable end inside the cab is just a crimped piece of malible metal (puter?) You might can tug out the extra wire and "re-crimp" another weight.

-be sure to have a throttle return spring if things go sour

------------------
71' 3880# with me. Big Block 402, TH400, 3.73 posi,
13.1sec @ 105 MPH (poor 2.1 sixty foot and rookie tuning)
--will be racing at Chevellebration 2001!--
Picture of me roasting the tires and other guy stuff
Video of me staging (smoke of course)

·
Registered
348 Posts
I'm with BB Mike, add a new crimped weight to the pedel end. Should work out fine.

·
Registered
461 Posts
When I changed my 67 from a 6 to a SBC 350 I had about 1 inch of slack in the cable. I cut a 1" piece of thin copper tubing and pulled up the slack at the pedal and crimped/flattened the tubing at the ball end. Has worked great for almost a year so far. Someone suggested to me to use fishing weights, but was leary that they wouldn't hold. My 2 pennies.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.