Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to replace the starter in my 69 chevelle. Not knowing you can get them locally I called Year One who told me I had to order the alum nose type because my car has a 454. After installing the starter I tried to start the car several times and it chewed up the flywheel. I sent the starter back to Year One and they said they will refund the money but would not pay anything towards replacing the flywheel or the tow that was needed to get the car to a garage.
They said I installed it incorrectly and now say it requires shims. They hadn't said that when I bought it and I don't recall directions stating they were needed or for that matter any shims coming in the box. I've since installed a cast iron nose starter and bolted it up using new correct bolts just as I had the other starter and it works fine. Does anyone know if what Year One is saying holds any water?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Not all started require shimming, but the clearances DO need to be checked each time to make sure.

I learned this lesson when my started went out on my Blazer, 30 miles from home in the middle of a farmers' field, in 3 foot deep snow. I replaced the starter without checking the clearance, and it tore the heck out of the flywheel. About 5 months later, I was able to go back and retrieve my truck.

There should be about .020 clearance (about the size of a paperclip wire) between the starter teeth and the flywheel.

I'm surprised Year One will replace the starter, most places will sell you a new Bendix gear and tell you to check it next time.

------------------
70 Impala Sport Coupe (350)
67 Chevelle (I wish, still looking and saving)
http://www.geocities.com/ledsled_26m

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Leadsled,

Thanks for your reply. I've replaced starters before none of which ever required shims. I know some do but that apparently is not the case with my car.
I'll ckaulk up the experience with Year One as partially my fault for not ordering a cast nose. That was what was in the car but I agreed with them since the book calls for an alum nose in 454's.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Well . . .
it is my understanding that there are really only two major differences in the early starters for chevy v-8s.(when talking about alignment problems)

Standard trans or auto trans.

This being said, I am sure someone else will dissagree.

If you went to a checker auto and bought a starter, they come with shims and a tool to measure the clearances.

But I can also say that if your original starter did not have shims, then the replacement should not have needed shims either.

I have used many starters over the years and most auto trans use aluminum and the standard trans ones have cast iron. I don't know if this is always the case, but for me it has been that way.

YOu are lucky year one is replacing it . . . but I think what they said is wrong.
Just my $.02.
Cya
Tim

------------------
Mr. D

72 454 El Camino turbo400
68 Camaro RS/SS 350 M4
73 RS/LT/Z28 Camaro M4
99 Firebird TA WS-6 A4 Color: Pewter
1995 WWW LT-1 Caprice A4
An all GM site http://www.gmforums.com

[This message has been edited by Mr. D (edited 10-24-2001).]

·
Premium Member
4,136 Posts
The next time any of you are replacing a starter and you are not sure of the engagement between the pinion and the flywheel/flex plate gears get yourself a remote starter button and connect to the "S" terminal on the solenoid and the "+" terminal on the battery (or any other energized circuit) AND WITH THE MAIN (HOT) TERMINAL ON THE SOLENOID DISCONNECTED AND INSULATED FROM ANY NEARBY GROUND bump the solenoid with the button and visually check gear engagement. This will drive the bendix into the flywheel without turning the starter. If the teeth don't look like they are engaged properly they probably aren't. That is when you start looking at shims. Don't be afraid to pull whatever inspection plate/cover there is on the bell housing to look. Good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.