Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1969 Chevelle SS 454
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to know the identity of the square metallic part in the middle of the picture given at the link:

www2.msstate.edu/~usherjm/unknownpart.jpg

What is this part? One of the wires was connected to the horn relay. I did not notice this connection on the wiring diagram.

Thanks for the help.

John

------------------
John M. Usher
Starkville, MS
1969 SS 396/325
TC#147 / ACES #3063

·
Registered
403 Posts
are you talking about the fan A/C relay??

------------------
Mr. D
72 454 El Camino
68 RS/SS Camaro
73 RS/LT/Z28 Camaro
99 Firebird TA WS-6 A4

·
Registered
368 Posts
John
This is a vacuum reservoir which is part of the vacuum operater heater/air conditioning controls. It is not electrical, it only has hoses running to it. The relay in the photo is actually a high blower relay used on cars with air conditioning. I believe that the "bean can" style reservoir was last used in 1969. After that, the reservoirs were a plastic ball.

A note in your link. Look at this page. It explains how to use UBB codes to imbed URL links in your messages.

www.chevelles.com/forum/ubbcode.html

------------------
Fred Aldrich
Web Site: www.GeoCities.com/~69_chevelle

[This message has been edited by Fred Aldrich (edited 11-11-99).]

·
Registered
1969 Chevelle SS 454
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Fred.
The relay is what I was looking to identify. One connection going into the relay is burnt like there was some short. I wonder if this would explain why the power of my fan on the A/C is so low. All speeds work but all operate at slower than expected.

Is there suppose to be a connection between this relay and the horn relay?

------------------
John M. Usher
Starkville, MS
1969 SS 396/325
TC#147 / ACES #3063

·
Registered
403 Posts
The coffee can vacuum canisters were used through most of 71. Some 71s had the plastic ball and the early ones had the coffee can type. My 70 had the coffee can style as it was built in sept. 69.

the fan relay switch may be connected to the horn relay. a lot of stuff comes off that. You'll need someone else to explain the why.
Sorry I couldn't help more.
Mr. D
and you are welcome.

·
Registered
368 Posts
usher
Yes, the A/C relay is powered from the horn relay by a #12 red wire, an in-line fuse which can be seen in your photo and a #10 black wire back to the horn relay. If the relay is not working, the fan will stop when the fan switch is in the "High" position. Also, when you move the fan switch to "High", there should be an audible click from the fan relay.

------------------
Fred Aldrich
Web Site: www.GeoCities.com/~69_chevelle

·
Registered
321 Posts

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.