Chevelles.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm changing the color of my interior from green to black. I was going to replace the headliner but it is in such good shape and I've read how hard it is to replace, I was hoping I could just dye it.Has anyone done this and what was the results?

------------------
Michael

www.geocities.com/msctech2002/chevelle

T.C. member # 758
ACES member # 4292

69 malibu convertible
69 malibu h/t 307/pg
<<this space reserved for 66/67 chevelle 4spd>>
01 gmc sierra

·
Registered
418 Posts
I have dyed the sail panels with SEM vinyl spray and they turned out great. I plan to dye the headliner also. It's just a really big job to mask off for spraying the dye.

------------------

It's a BIGGER block!

·
Registered
255 Posts
69Ragtop,

The previous owner changed my interior color from red to black including the headliner. It looks good except for a couple of very small scratches. Like any paint or dye it will scratch and show the original color.

Bubba

------------------
ACES member #04788
Maryland Chevelle Club member #075
Maryland Automotive Modelers Association
Have you ever noticed that those instruments designed to detect intelligent life in the universe are all pointed AWAY from Earth???
http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/Bubbas396.jpg

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys, SS540 where do you get the SEM dye? now would be the perfect time to do it since I have the interior stripped except for the headliner.

------------------
Michael

www.geocities.com/msctech2002/chevelle

T.C. member # 758
ACES member # 4292

69 malibu convertible
69 malibu h/t 307/pg
<<this space reserved for 66/67 chevelle 4spd>>
01 gmc sierra

·
Registered
334 Posts
I'm also interested in dying my headliner, and hadn't thought of using SEM. I got great results with it on plastic and vinyl.
I bought my SEM products from Eastwood http://www.eastwoodco.com/ Great service and their prices are pretty much the same as other places. If anyone knows of someplace better and/or cheaper, please let us all know.

SS540 - what kind of prep did you do before spraying the sail panels?

------------------
Ed
'68 El Camino (Current Project)
'66 Caddy Conv (Cruiser)
'87 Vette Conv (Daily Driver)

·
Registered
418 Posts
I got the SEM products at a local auto parts store that sells and mixes paints. This is not one of the chain stores, so they carry some products not found in the chain stores. I cleaned the sail panels with lacquer thinner.

------------------

It's a BIGGER block!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts