Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

81 - 100 of 107 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
So Casey after a few days of clean up and repaint with new Summit 2.02 heads (Dart) and Howard L79 327/350 cam with all new rocker parts this should be a fairly strong 71 Camaro SS. Heads are 4 cc smaller and the heads gaskets are .20 thin so should bring her up to about 9.25-9.5 compression. Carb is rebuilt original Quardrajet, ignition is Pertronix. The new condenser and all AC lines will be in Tuesday and I will button her up. If I do a frame off it will be next year. This is a very clean car needing only minor body then paint. Hopefully It should be able to take out a Honda now馃槑

Attachments

Registered
You know Bill for a guy who says he talks with his hands all the time...LOL you do some pretty nice work!
Looks really good. Your wife should be really pleased with her car.
Well done Buddy...we still need the Rum though...

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
You know Bill for a guy who says he talks with his hands all the time...LOL you do some pretty nice work!
Looks really good. Your wife should be really pleased with her car.
Well done Buddy...we still need the Rum though...
Remember Casey, aside from the simple engine mods this all started over XXXXXXX stuck condenser line fitting BTW it is still attached to the cut hose and there is really no way to install or remove a condenser on this car on the car without mangling the fins unless you take it all apart like I did. Well the new condenser and the rest of the new hoses should be here tomorrow, then I can install the new exhaust system, intake and take my new green ( pollen is terrible) Chevelle for a ride. Oh wait I have to install the new headliner and the rest of the interior and then spray the car. Does it ever end.......

Premium Member
So Casey after a few days of clean up and repaint with new Summit 2.02 heads (Dart) and Howard L79 327/350 cam with all new rocker parts this should be a fairly strong 71 Camaro SS. Heads are 4 cc smaller and the heads gaskets are .20 thin so should bring her up to about 9.25-9.5 compression. Carb is rebuilt original Quardrajet, ignition is Pertronix. The new condenser and all AC lines will be in Tuesday and I will button her up. If I do a frame off it will be next year. This is a very clean car needing only minor body then paint. Hopefully It should be able to take out a Honda now馃槑
Bill is that 71 Camaro paint a brownish color called Rosewood ? And it's still the factory paint, right ?

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
Bill is that 71 Camaro paint a brownish color called Rosewood ? And it's still the factory paint, right ?
John it's 1971 Classic Copper Irid #67 and yes it is the original color of the car and I am keeping this same color with the same acrylic lacquer base but with a lacquer clear. I would like stripes but the wife says no, so no stripes. I like food :rolleyes: . The interior is light sandlewood. Unfortunately they started to jam the car red so I have seal and jam the inside of the jams and trunk which were mint. You see the original paint on the front pic as it was prior to installing the condenser. For some reason the paint has held up extremely well for factory lacquer and why I decided to stay with lacquer plus it is much easier to spray without a booth and the clear will give it more depth and protection against the sun.
Camaro front.jpg

Registered
Looks Good Bill.
I had no idea you were out in the sticks ...but in Boston? the only sticks I know of in Boston belong to the Bruins...that good Canadian kid Bobby Orr I think his name was LOL
Seriously Bill you'll have to show us some updated pics and as for the stripes ...Food Outranks Stripes Unless you ghost some in under the clear....?

Reactions: LeoP

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
Yeah Casey I live in a suburb of Boston about 20 miles out. I need land and aside from Fl I have always had an acre of land min. Currently have 4.5 acres and love the space. My schedule is shot to shit as I just got out of the hospital yesterday with a herniated intestine that they cut me open to fix. Trust me not fun. I will call in some favors to finish the engine and AC but my lifting is over for a while but I am great at giving orders, just ask anyone that no longer talks to me馃

Registered
Bill I am sorry to hear that you are out of action for a while. knifed as well That is bad luck...
But you need the rest I am guessing so no heroics okay and yes call in the favours! I'd be there but opposite sides of the Continent and borders closed all the fun stuff.
Cool about the land. I want to move out from here to a burb and retire properly but the missus wants 2 more years teaching so I have to say yes...she gets a bonus when she retires of 25K to go at 55 so who am I to sneeze at free money she'd get anyway right?
the we will look for somewhere out in the valley with some breathing space and fewer Hipsters... Take care Bill
remember

"Every scar is a badge of courage"... Apu Simpson's

Reactions: Billdini

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
Bill I am sorry to hear that you are out of action for a while. knifed as well That is bad luck...
But you need the rest I am guessing so no heroics okay and yes call in the favours! I'd be there but opposite sides of the Continent and borders closed all the fun stuff.
Cool about the land. I want to move out from here to a burb and retire properly but the missus wants 2 more years teaching so I have to say yes...she gets a bonus when she retires of 25K to go at 55 so who am I to sneeze at free money she'd get anyway right?
the we will look for somewhere out in the valley with some breathing space and fewer Hipsters... Take care Bill
remember

"Every scar is a badge of courage"... Apu Simpson's
Better do what momma wants. She can buy a lot of food for 25k. Thanks for the warm thoughts.

Bill

Premium Member
John it's 1971 Classic Copper Irid #67 and yes it is the original color of the car and I am keeping this same color with the same acrylic lacquer base but with a lacquer clear. I would like stripes but the wife says no, so no stripes. I like food :rolleyes: . The interior is light sandlewood. Unfortunately they started to jam the car red so I have seal and jam the inside of the jams and trunk which were mint. You see the original paint on the front pic as it was prior to installing the condenser. For some reason the paint has held up extremely well for factory lacquer and why I decided to stay with lacquer plus it is much easier to spray without a booth and the clear will give it more depth and protection against the sun.
View attachment 712704
Thanks for clearing that up for me Bill, eventually I'll find a car with a same color as mine that isn't the wrong maroon color.I was hoping it was #78 Rosewood because that's what my 71 ElCamino is but every picture I have seen of cars that are repainted that color come out looking like maroon and not a metallic brown like the stock color is.I think the number 78 was used on a different maroon type color on Cadillacs so maybe that's where the mix-up comes from.I've only seen one other car that was Rosewood that looks like a brown metallic color like mine is,and as it should be.
I'm going by paint that was in the jambs and under the door covers as it was already in rattle can primer when I bought it.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Thanks for clearing that up for me Bill, eventually I'll find a car with a same color as mine that isn't the wrong maroon color.I was hoping it was #78 Rosewood because that's what my 71 ElCamino is but every picture I have seen of cars that are repainted that color come out looking like maroon and not a metallic brown like the stock color is.I think the number 78 was used on a different maroon type color on Cadillacs so maybe that's where the mix-up comes from.I've only seen one other car that was Rosewood that looks like a brown metallic color like mine is,and as it should be.
I'm going by paint that was in the jambs and under the door covers as it was already in rattle can primer when I bought it.
John this shows your color. I went with these guys for my 71 color in lacquer paints and clears.
1971 Chevrolet. Their restoration shop can mix up anything you need in different bases as well.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
Well abdominal surgery slowed me down but I am still pushing forward with the wife鈥檚 car 鈥減enny鈥. It鈥檚 a very clean car just needing some engine work and cleanup. Paint may start in a week or two. Alternator had to be returned.

B7939982-CAD2-469D-98B7-9E76B532D791.jpeg

Registered
Coming along fine Bill...when do you think it will turnover and drive a little?
Almost there by the look of things...

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #95 · (Edited)
Coming along fine Bill...when do you think it will turnover and drive a little?
Almost there by the look of things...
Casey as you see it still needs two more new AC lines installed. Not sure I can put the power into the main hose that goes to the POA valve. New alternator will go on today (sent out original), half the exhaust is already removed but new system needs to be installed, Drop in the dizzy, coil, plugs, wires set the timing and reinstall the battery. Problem is many things I can't do like install a battery (too heavy) and other things requiring excessive bending causes me to bleed and the wife gives me shit as she should. Normally it would be running by Saturday BUT! The plan with this car is to keep cleaning it up but my wife does not want this to be a #1 like the Chevelle originally was so she can drive it when and where she wants. The under carriage still has the red primer showing where the original undercoating is falling off so it really does not need a frame off except from a aesthetics perspective and the original owner did all the brakes and some suspension work. In all its a nice car as is and I do not want to over do this car. Oh, I still haven't forgotten, I need to get that frigging fitting off that AC line that caused all this extra work for me. Charge the AC with R12 , paint the car, finish installing the new interior and put it on the road. My planned timeframe is done by mid July. Running up and down the driveway on its own power this Sunday if the stars align. Oh, buy a vehicle recovery system......

Premium Member
Bill,
You just had surgery. Give the project a rest. Give you body a rest. The project will still be there when you are healed. If you overdo it and have to go back to the doctor he is going to be upset. Ask me how I know.
Enjoy the view at those 4.5 acres.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
Have you given any thought to how prone lacquer is to chipping?
It's hard like glass and the more coats, the easier it chips.

Original factory lacquer wasn't too bad but it wasn't all that thick.

If I had it to do over I would not use lacquer on my car again.

Just something to think about.
Dean I have had a bunch of lacquer cars that I sprayed and I can鈥檛 disagree with you but without a booth poly is a pain in the ass. Acrylic clear adds depth and protection. I just like the sheen of lacquer. I sprayed the 68 with poly but not interested spraying it again and a pro job up here is 10-15k easy. I can spray the Camaro 15 times for that much $. Hey I am retired and need a hobby馃槼. It will be stripped down to bare metal as well.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
Bill,
You just had surgery. Give the project a rest. Give you body a rest. The project will still be there when you are healed. If you overdo it and have to go back to the doctor he is going to be upset. Ask me how I know.
Enjoy the view at those 4.5 acres.
View, huh Brad. The wife already threw my ass on the John Deere馃槑. Thanks for the concern. I will try and be a good boy.

81 - 100 of 107 Posts