Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

61 - 80 of 107 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,907 Posts
Is that a lifter or a mushroom :eek: all this time I never knew you were removing the condensor to replace the cam in that car ?

Reactions: DUTCH MAX HEADWORK

·
Premium Member
2,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Is that a lifter or a mushroom :eek:
I think it is a Holy mushroom:) I've seen one before like that. It is an original motor with 70k miles on it and it ran pretty good. Smoked them right up for sure in the driveway.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I would pay to see that system on the Condenser line Bill. You never know one of those may raise it's ugly head and show up again...this time you'll know how it opens.

·
Premium Member
2,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
I would pay to see that system on the Condenser line Bill. You never know one of those may raise it's ugly head and show up again...this time you'll know how it opens.
How much $ are you willing to pay Capt.:)

·
Registered
989 Posts
Arrrr Billy ow aboot a larrrrge Bottle O rum?
You walked into that one Bill

Reactions: LeoP

·
Premium Member
2,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
So I heard back from one of the most qualified guys IMO in the classic AC biz, The Part Guy in Tampa. He always answers my questions and in most cases he refers me to another source to buy from. That is a stand up guy and I highly recommend people use him when they have an AC issue. Here is his response which BTW is the route that I chose in the end.
"
Unfortunately, I cannot. They did some funky things as a result of the strike year in 1970 and four different fittings at that particular condenser end (spring lock like yours, o-ring, barbed & flare) were used as a result.

The spring lock is probably the worst of them, since they had much more of a tendency to leak. Your best bet, if it's in the budget, is to replace the condenser and compressor hose assembly. I'd recommend Old Air Products in Fort Worth, TX.

Thanks,

TC
--
The Part Guy LLC in Tampa, FL"

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
8,279 Posts
Bill was that the Elgin cam & lifters that went flat? or is that your wifes Camaro? and that really sucks that fitting wouldn't disconnect

·
Premium Member
2,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Bill was that the Elgin cam & lifters that went flat? or is that your wifes Camaro? and that really sucks that fitting wouldn't disconnect
Rick that was an original 70k mile cam in my wife's Camaro. It just goes to show that metallurgy issues existed years ago and why only one lobe would go flat while the others were perfect. I installed a Howard flat cam in the wife's car yesterday but I have to lift the engine to drop the pan and install new gaskets. My Chevelle's Elgin cam checked out great when I had an issue with the head and I checked the lift on every lobe and after a few thousand miles its in great shape.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Well Bill at least they knew about that fitting and that it was the worst of the replacements. Figures using inferior parts during a strike...
But now you don't need to feel like you/we missed something. To reuse it would have been a mistake. So better off.
She doesn't need AC for the first while Bill it'll get cold soon enough when you tell her she has no AC but the car is on the road...!

Reactions: 123pugsy

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
8,279 Posts
Bill I wonder if newer motor oils had anything to do with the cam going flat?

·
Premium Member
8,907 Posts
Rick that was an original 70k mile cam in my wife's Camaro. It just goes to show that metallurgy issues existed years ago and why only one lobe would go flat while the others were perfect. I installed a Howard flat cam in the wife's car yesterday but I have to lift the engine to drop the pan and install new gaskets. My Chevelle's Elgin cam checked out great when I had an issue with the head and I checked the lift on every lobe and after a few thousand miles its in great shape.
The 305 in my 79 Cutlass Supreme had a cam that the same thing happened to it. I replaced the 305s cam with a Summit cam, this was around 92 or so.I looked the cam over real close and 1 lobe was gone and another was on its way but still had a lobe but it had turned gray.I only eyeballed the lobes no measuring.The flat lobe was cyl #8 while the one on its way was one of the opposite banks 5 or 7 but I can't remember which one of them.
The motor was well maintained so bad maintenance wasn't the cause I think GM just got a bunch of bad blanks that lasted for a good portion of the mid to late 70's and that is my guess.

Reactions: shovelrick

·
Premium Member
2,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Well Bill at least they knew about that fitting and that it was the worst of the replacements. Figures using inferior parts during a strike...
But now you don't need to feel like you/we missed something. To reuse it would have been a mistake. So better off.
She doesn't need AC for the first while Bill it'll get cold soon enough when you tell her she has no AC but the car is on the road...!
Casey I have already used the Ac in Murphy last week. It’s nice to have when it gets muggy. Fortunately that doesn’t last that long but it’s nice to have it when needed. The new parts for her car should be here tomorrow and the engine should be done tomorrow with the exhaust on Friday. Car still isn’t on the road and still needs the paint and the interior installed to finish her off so it will likely be mid July when it hits the road.
The 305 in my 79 Cutlass Supreme had a cam that the same thing happened to it. I replaced the 305s cam with a Summit cam, this was around 92 or so.I looked the cam over real close and 1 lobe was gone and another was on its way but still had a lobe but it had turned gray.I only eyeballed the lobes no measuring.The flat lobe was cyl #8 while the one on its way was one of the opposite banks 5 or 7 but I can't remember which one of them.
The motor was well maintained so bad maintenance wasn't the cause I think GM just got a bunch of bad blanks that lasted for a good portion of the mid to late 70's and that is my guess.
Yes my mothers 78 Caprice 305 lost her cam around 70k miles too. I know the 305's were known for soft cams. My wife's I suspect with having only 70k mile after 50 years was more a result of dry fires from sitting. Although the other lobes were fine the crown on the bottom of the lifters was showing wear on all. Obviously the lifter took out the cam in my case however it is a 71 350 L48

·
Registered
989 Posts
Going with a new condenser or were you able to salvage that one and go for a new line to attach to it where you cut?

·
Premium Member
2,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 · (Edited)
Going with a new condenser or were you able to salvage that one and go for a new line to attach to it where you cut?
Casey I removed the grille, radiator, hood latch and other stuff for the cam and loosened the condenser and the cam still didn't have enough room. Unlike our Chevelle's it is really impossible to remove it without ruining the fins unless you remove the headlights and upper nose header so after battling this stupid fitting for a week I had enough and literally ripped it out so yes new condenser and hose to the compressor and POA plus the hose from the condenser to the dryer. I already changed the other hose from the dryer out to the expansion valve. So with the exception of the evaporator and POA the system is new. Probably in the long run having new barrier hoses throughout is the best way to go despite the $500 bucks. It's a good thing buddies like you are going to chip in with the pay per view:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
Casey I had to take the car nose off so I can install the new condenser. Do you. Know what this means now? The car went from a cleanup, more power, paint and interior to a frame off restoration. Something is wrong with me, once I start taking things apart I can’t stop😳 I know it’s gonna be great!
4D9C2D10-5A40-4ACF-B85E-7DCC9F51351B.jpeg
87245574-1019-4450-A49F-7C42654A7DD3.jpeg

·
Premium Member
2,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Does your wife know about this? 🥴
I actually gave it a gas bath and engine repaint on the lower and its looking pretty nice now so I may put off the frame off until next year and enjoy the shows with my Chevelle. I have to lift the engine to clean up and install new pan gaskets tomorrow. Cam is in so if the pan doesn't fight me too much I may be able to fire it this weekend. Wife is happy now and it is coming out decent so I can stay out of the dog house a little longer. I will post a new pic tomorrow.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Out of the dog house ...? she's gonna make you a new wing to live in next to the garage so you can keep it looking nice. Good job on the engine. Looks great.... yes it's a sickness we all have get something take it apart and then take it apart more...never satisfied with Good enough. I will draw that line when it comes to door jambs though... I am not concerned about an 1/8 inch difference...No binding, windows line up and seal, opens and closes smooth and latches well I am fine. But this getting it to the Rolls Royce standard? Not for me. Awesome if they want to just not for me.

Reactions: LeoP
61 - 80 of 107 Posts