Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Iv’e googled and YouTube’d but nothing. This is my wife’s 71 and I can not disconnect the Ac line from the condenser. If I was a betting man I would think it’s a slip on fitting. Anyone seen this type of a connector for a Ac line. Thanks

Bill
D33F860D-869E-4BFA-86B6-0E569D988E41.jpeg

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Looks like a crimped fitting in the picture. And my prediction is that fittings that old might be permanently fused together due to corrosion.

Basically, new hose time.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Reactions: LeoP

·
Registered
989 Posts
Bill
There seems to be two of those little spring clips.
I see where you have lifted one in the hopes of sliding the fitting out...Did you try lifting both at the same time...third hand required I know but...
Or maybe it is lift one pull then lift the other? If you lifted the clip that seems to be on the left side of the fitting first pul then the other one it may be in two stages but betting you have to release pull both clips up at the same time then pull.

·
Premium Member
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Casey I think it is only a cover and maybe it has a fitting that unbolts underneath, MAYBE.. I tried to remove them, no go, push them forward no go. One in and one out no go. I tried to squeeze the ends together and pull them out no go. No go, go, go. It's making me crazy and trust me I have a very short trip....

·
Registered
989 Posts
Bill did you try pushing them in instead of pulling the clips out? Maybe that is the way?
Pushing in may widen the clip

·
Premium Member
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks like a crimped fitting in the picture. And my prediction is that fittings that old might be permanently fused together due to corrosion.

Basically, new hose time.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Rick the cover is loose and spins freely. New line means new condenser with new line because the design at the coupler changed or $179 line plus $239 condenser or get the damn thing apart and put in a new 10 cent O ring in. I choose 10 cents. Its pissing me off for sure.

·
Premium Member
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bill did you try pushing them in instead of pulling the clips out? Maybe that is the way?
Pushing in may widen the clip
Yup but to do both I need 4 hands. Did I tell you Boston is very nice this time of year :)

·
Registered
989 Posts
Bill It is definitely time for a Very Large dark Rum and leave a little room for some Coke

·
Registered
989 Posts
Try wrapping it with some black electricians tape to push those clips in a little bit then wiggle each side of the fitting.???
Or zip ties?
Sorry Bill even went online to look and nothing even in the Camaro forums

·
Premium Member
1968 el Camino SS 396 L34, TH400, 3.55 posi, Factory A/C, P/S, P/B, Remote Driver Mirror,
603 Posts
Bill, if you haven't already, I would call the guys at Classic Auto Air, they seem to be very helpful. Talk to someone there who deals with the restoration of original systems.
Their number is 877-342-5526 it's worth a shot. Good luck

Steve

·
Premium Member
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Try wrapping it with some black electricians tape to push those clips in a little bit then wiggle each side of the fitting.???
Or zip ties?
Sorry Bill even went online to look and nothing even in the Camaro forums
Its probably the same for Chevelles just not 68's. 70 and 71 used 4 different types of connectors. I just got tied up trying to remove an exhaust stud and success. Of course it was the hardest one to get to making a Sawzall and Dremel useless but I smashed on a smaller Metrix socket and gave the impact a pull. Now to get the the head off...Btw I tried your way using hose clamp, no go.

·
Premium Member
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bill, if you haven't already, I would call the guys at Classic Auto Air, they seem to be very helpful. Talk to someone there who deals with the restoration of original systems.
Their number is 877-342-5526 it's worth a shot. Good luck

Steve
Left a Vm Steve. I did buy one hose from them a couple months back. We will see if they call back. Thanks

·
Registered
989 Posts
Dean It's on his wife's 71 Camaro

·
Premium Member
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've never seen anything like that on a Chevelle
Dean I checked my 71 Camaro IAM and just shows it bolts together and I even checked a 69 Chevelle IAM no go. My 68 is barb/clamp. I mean the case and housing is loose too. I don't get it.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Bill looking at those.. they are just double spring clips right? So the part slides in and snaps into place twice. I think if you pushed something small under each clips to lift it up both at the same time. a small wood wedge it would then allow enough slack in the spring to allow the fitting to separate when pulled apart. there appears to be some room on either side to lift the little loop rather than press it.
Also the clips are made not to pull all the way out as they are hooked upwards at the ends. Makes me thing it is a pull up on each one same time or maybe first one then the other. Try furthest one back then the one near the fitting.

·
Gold Founding Member
63,911 Posts
Dean It's on his wife's 71 Camaro
Yes, I saw that but I also saw "Its probably the same for Chevelles just not 68's."

Its probably the same for Chevelles just not 68's. 70 and 71 used 4 different types of connectors. I just got tied up trying to remove an exhaust stud and success. Of course it was the hardest one to get to making a Sawzall and Dremel useless but I smashed on a smaller Metrix socket and gave the impact a pull. Now to get the the head off...Btw I tried your way using hose clamp, no go.

·
Registered
989 Posts
That could be Buick or aftermarket for the day Bill like say a 1980 aftermarket hose replacement from an AC shop?

·
Premium Member
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That could be Buick or aftermarket for the day Bill like say a 1980 aftermarket hose replacement from an AC shop?
Gm used 4 different unions. It’s factory. I tried your way. Nope. Maybe it is just stuck
29AC4957-8AE9-4C24-843A-5D169CD0C0DC.jpeg

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Try pushing the lines together. What you got to lose?

1 - 20 of 107 Posts