Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I go back to a stock looking distributor for my car? It's got a Accel Hei dist. module cap on it now.(don't know the name off the top of head) But I was wandering if I could one day pull that setup of and put the factory style on with an external coil(like the factory) but with some module
inside of it. And when I get to the motor if i've got some good HP (400+) will this factory style work with it. Any comment will help and thanks for the help in advance Tom

------------------
Tom
Belleville, IL
67SS Yellow right now:(
Member #409

·
Gold Founding Member
462 Posts
I sure i seen a kit at summit for just that. Check there cat.

------------------
CFR.

·
Premium Member
5,542 Posts
Absolutely. You can get a Mallory Unilite conversion kit for GM distributors as well as the Pertronix Ignitor. Summit carries the Unilite ( so should your local speed shop ) and the Ignitor is avl. from the National Parts Depot and Year One.

------------------

·
Registered
35 Posts
You absolutely can. I own a Uni-Lite and love it, plus they are not very expensive.Good luck!

------------------
71 malibu 350/350

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok I got off my dead A$$ and looked to see what I have it's a Accel Super Coil on top of my distributor. But now my question is? it looks like a late model HEI Dist. can I take this one back in time to look like a 67 factory Distributor with the HEI stuff inside of it?

Thanks Tom

------------------
Tom
Belleville, IL
67SS Yellow right now:(
Member #409

·
Registered
687 Posts
That one is physically too big to look like a points distributor.You'll need an old points dist to put the new stuff that the others are talking about.Unless someone knows something different.

------------------
John 67SS
ACES #2887
Team Chevelle Gold #127
Bassett,VA

·
Registered
372 Posts
I ran a stock points distributor for years. Never changed them. With a MSD 6AL they aren't passing much current. Just being used as a trigger. It's a little difficult to hide the box, but it can be done. Food for thought.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Madmax, first thing to realize is that there's nothing wrong with the stock setup. Unless you're running squeeze or blown, it entirely capable of supporting 500+ HP. So to answer your question, can you go back? yeah, and you ain't gonna lose a thing by doing so IMO.

I chose to use a stock style distrib on my 67 with an Pertronix ignitor inside. Right now I run a stock coil. It fires the RAT fine and spins her right up farther than I care to go.

Also you can put an HEI trigger in a small base. Ignitionman can help with this.

In either case you're getting the benefit of precise spark timing in a stock looking case.

So use a small base, have it throughly checked out as far as mechanicals ( bearings) etc, becuase an old distrib will scatter the hell out of the spark if it's loose, put a modern pickup in and you're off to the races.

I think I'm going to upgrade to a Pertronix coil because their 1.5ohm unit doesn't require a resistor( my 67 was converted to HEI so I have a 12v ignition line)and I'm tired of looking at the ballast resistor on my firewall.

BTW, I run a "declawed" L88 pushing 520 HP, good compression (10 3/4)and this "stock" setup works mint and looks orignal.

[This message has been edited by Gene Chas (edited 12-23-1999).]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.