Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys whats going on. i just have some ?? about how good of a 70 chevelle i could get for under 10 grand. i mean of course it would have to be an ss!!!! but i want to know what is the best engine to have under the hood and what ajustments i would have to make to make it as fast as possible, and i hope some of you guys can help me out and oohh yeah thanks for all the info about my 1st ?? that helped a lot.. so if you have any input i would appreciate it thanks...

------------------
Chris Vann

·
Registered
834 Posts
I would say for 10k you better get a darn nice car! Of course go for a 454
Skip the LS6 though, you will end up paying 2x the price and not get as nice of a car probably (for the same kind of money I mean).

------------------
Chris Dagenais
Saskatchewan
'71 Malibu with a home built 454!
"Because of my velle, i'm broke, cut, bruised, tired, dirty, sweaty, and loving EVERY minute of it"
My Page

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
For $10,000 you should be able to find a pretty nice SS 396. You won't find a show winner, but should be able to find a nice driver.

You need to decide what is important to you. Do you want matching numbers, 4 speed or automatic, what color, tach and gauges? All these will factor into the price you are likely to pay. Another factor, not often mentioned is how hard are you willing to look. The harder you look the better car you will find for the money.

Once you find the car you want then decide what you need to make the car perform at the level you desire.

Steve R.

·
Registered
638 Posts
You'd be lucky to find a nice one for 10k. I spent almost all of the past year looking for the right 70 SS. I read a LOT of car trader mags, kept tabs on several web sites, traveled to a bunch of classic car dealerships, local ads, ebay, etc. Ended up getting one from a member here on TC.
For 10k you can get a car with poorly fitting body panels, some rust, ratty interior, and lots of miles.
If you want one that's "nice" you're looking at more like 15 to 25k. Nice is a relative term but to me it means no rust or very little rust, mostly good fitting body panels, and a good dependable drivetrain. The classic car dealerships will price things about 25% higher than individual owners.
As for your questions about what engine, and quickly needed adjustments. The 396 350hp version is going to be a lot less money that any other 1970 SS motor. I looked at a couple of 454s that were just old smoking truck motors stuck in rust buckets with a price over 20k. Quick adjustments would be anything that keeps the car from being a safe and dependable ride. First be sure your brakes are good, all the lights work, suspension is OK, and under the hood is wired and working properly. Then you can start on the cosmetic stuff.
One thing that really doesn't make sense to me is how much cheaper it is to buy a restored, (or nearly restored), car than to do one yourself. Unless you own a body shop, or you're a pro mechanic, it's almost impossible to make money restoring one. Individuals that restore their cars are almost always doing it for the love of the car, not to make money. I saw dozens of cars that owners had spent WAY more on fixing it up than their asking price. Restoration parts are unbelievably expensive.
It's very possible to get a really nice car for 18k that someone else has invested 25k in buying and fixing it up.

------------------
Bob Von Kaenel
Lincoln, NE
70 SS 402ci+.030 TH400 3.73 posi Cranberry Red

We've not been called upon to hold the fort, but rather, to storm the heights!

·
Premium Member
28,595 Posts
Bob hit the nail on the head..good post! If you have find a 70 SS @ 10K or under in "respectable",consider your self lucky.Most of what out there in the 12K and under is crap,and even some of the higher priced cars aren't worth what the sellers are asking.

------------------
1970 Chevelle SS396/M21/4.10 My 70 SS396
Engine pic
1970 Chevelle SS454My 70 SS454
1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass convertible
1982 Oldsmobile Cutlass 350 Olds,TH350(daily driver)
Chris Corwel,TC Member 785

[This message has been edited by mr 4 speed (edited 06-11-2001).]

·
Registered
20 Posts
I agree, everyone told me I could buy just as nice of a car for less than the cost of restoring my '68. Considering what they said, I looked and didn't find anything less than 20k that I liked. Seems likes people want 20k for SS cars that aren't even numbers matching! If you find a great car for 10k, let me know, I buy it off you for 12k!

------------------
Tony -- 1968 Chevelle

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the info guys...i appreciate it and mr4speed you have an awsome chevelle i just stood in awe of it ... well thanks again everyone

------------------
Chris Vann

·
Registered
313 Posts
Even thought I am not done with my 67, I still look for the nice 70s for sale. I echo the above and wanted to let you know there is a nice 70 in Autotrader, Miami, Gold with black roof, stripes and interior, build sheet, for 14,900. Put up for sale June 2.

I'd jump all over it if I had the cash now. Hope there are still some left a few years from now when I go shopping.

John Walker

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
I'll take $9,999 and I have 14k in it but its not an SS and the numbers dont mach and its not street legal and real world value is about 5k so I guess I'll keep it.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
guess im GOING AGAINST THE GRAIN, i gave $9500 for my ss396 (454 4spd) it was a never-in-rain car, completely frame off restored, paint was nice but not a great paint job, you could eat off the bottom, i've since added a bunch of $$ just to customize it to my taste, but you can find a nice driver SS for $10k, most i looked at were in the $12-$15k range, but it takes some patients/and lotsa looking, keep in mind i flew from Texas to Minnesota to buy it, (other TC members looked it over for me "professor" and helped with plane ticket"randy mosier") but all worked well, just keep up on all the web sites DAILY!!!!!!!! (traderonline, etc.) you gotta be the first to call to find a deal

------------------
1970 SS396 AKA 454/4spd
My Chev-Hell Page
Member #783
Ft.Worth, Tx
Big Block Chevy.net
proud owner of this site
(oo|ss|oo)

·
Registered
100 Posts
I bought my 70' rag-top last fall. I traveled 1,200 miles one way to see it, took 4 years to find it, bought it for exactly $10K, spent several hundred getting it home, and have spent another $5K in the last 7 months getting it to the condition you now see in my signature photo. It's a nice daily driver I'm proud of, but not a numbers matching show car. It's all a matter of what you want. 10K will get you started, but certainly SOMETHING will be needed to be done to it to make it "NICE". Good luck, and take your time looking for the right one. Don't buy too fast. Steve

------------------
1970 Chevelle Convertible

·
Registered
714 Posts
Just my $.02 worth but I think Bob and Mr. 4 speed have it right on the money. If you find a 70SS Chevelle for under 10,000.00 it is highly likely it will be in need of tons of work to make it safe and look really nice. There are certainly exceptions to the rule but the days of people selling cars and not knowing what they have are few and far between.

I have 3 cars and need another one like I need a hole in the head but if I see a 70SS car in the paper for under 10K and it is relatively close, I always go look at it. This has happened twice now and I was disappointed both times. One was a decent starter car with a non-original BB but enough visible rust to make me wary and an interior in dire need. The other was pile of junk with a rebuilt 454 out of the car. There was nothing nice about the car. I wouldn't have given him much more than what the motor was worth and he wanted $8000.00 firm.

Good luck on your search and if you are very patient a diamond in the rough may show up. I am not a real patient guy and when I want a car and see what I like, I buy it. I probably paid a little too much for my 70SS but after looking at others in my price range this one just had the hook in me when I saw it and drove it....$$$ Cha Ching

Mytmouse

------------------
67 SS396 350HP 4 sp 3:55 Posi Butternut Yellow w/Black Vinyl
68 RS Z/28 302 350+Hp? 4sp 4:10 Posi, Euro Red on Black
70 SS396 350HP 4 sp 3:55 Posi, Black on Black

Mytmouse A.K.A. Robert Stacho
ACES Member # 04359

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.