Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 64 Malibu SS, 327(250hp),PG, with Vintage Air.

I just rebuilt the engine (stock components). However, it was punched 60 over. I'm running a 180 thermostat, fan clutch and 18" fan.

The guage reads about 80% toward HOT. A meat thermometer records the temp at 180 without air running. With air, the guage runs up to just under HOT. I haven't found a fan shroud yet that works.

My question: Can I calibrate the guage to move the 'normal' reading down the scale so I have more room for the warmer temperature before it reads HOT? Where can I get instructions to do so?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Factory gauges a sloppy at best and almost allways to late. Go with after market for water temp and oil pressure. I have seen some small ones that won't encroach too much on an original interior.
Harley
Afterthought; Install an aftermarket for a while until you become confident fo the factory reading.

[This message has been edited by Harley (edited 08-18-99).]

·
Registered
984 Posts
i have the same problem with my 65. with the a/c on the engine just keeps getting hotter until i panic and shut it down. when it is off, there are no problems. what kind of fan shroud are you running? I have been thinking about running a factory fiberglass shroud from a 66. i don't think the gage is inaccurate

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not running a fan shroud yet. I really didn't want to use one. Vintage Air requires it and my local AC shop also said I had better use one. I bought an aftermarket composit shroud from Hughey and it doesn't fit. I'm looking for an original stock steel shroud. I really want to keep this looking as original as possible.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I'm running around 200-210 with AC on am I endangering my engine? I'm running stock 2 core with stock radiator cap and no overflow bottle.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I helped a friend with a 65 and had the same problem. I have a old aftermarket parts catalog that shows the correct sending unit for a 65. It also shows the correct resistance at a given temp. The only problem was they didn't make it anymore or one like it with the correct resistance. So I found one with less resistance and subtracted the difference and went to radio shack and bought a resistor that would work. Put it in the sending unit wire and it works perfect.

·
Registered
29 Posts
hi,
once when working under the hood of my 64 I accidently cut the wire to temp. sending unit.I spliced in a wire of different size to keep it working.Noticed that guage reading changed from normally middle of range to 1/4,barley off of cold.I am going to assume that if you change the resistance of the wire going to sending unit that your guage reading will read differently.you can play with different resistor sizes untill your guage reading appears normal.or replace wiring harness and sending unit.
good luck .let us know what happens Tony

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hey Jerry,
I have two temp gauges on my 65; the factory and an aftermarket VDO. The stock gauge reads in the "middle" when the VDO shows 160. With the air running my new 300hp/350 target engine runs about 210 to 220 during the summer here in Las Vegas, which sometimes seems very close to hell. This pegs the stock gauge. First off the original shroud wasn't very effective even if you have one (I use mine as a door stop) so if you're going to stay with a water pump driven fan you need to find another shroud. I keep hearing that a shroud from a 66 SB will work but have'nt heard from any one who actually did it. Secondly, if you must keep the stock gauge you can calibrate it. I'm into old Corvettes (have a 61) and we try to keep them (looking) as original as possible, so no aftermarket gauges hanging below the dash allowed! The supply of original sending units has long been exhausted and the replacements aren't calibrated to the early Vette gauges. I wrote an article for the Solid Axle Corvette Magazine "On Solid Ground" about calibrating gaauges that may be of interest to you, It's really pretty simple. However I'm inclined to agree with previous advice on using a quality aftermarket temp gauge. Not sure what your summers are like, and how original you want to keep your car, but I suggest you drop to a 160 stat for the summer, get a good tight shroud on it and a good factory style clutch & fan. Also the 2 row may not be enough radiator for a healthy 327 with air. See some of my other posts about using reduced antifreeze in the summer to improve cooling. E-mail me if you need further info on what I've done to keep my 65 cool. mgg

[This message has been edited by Manny Gomez (edited 08-19-99).]

[This message has been edited by Manny Gomez (edited 08-19-99).]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.