Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before Brodix had the 298cc, possibly before the AFR 300cc heads...I had 265cc AFR V1's with you know the issues that they had.....

Sold them and got these for a song, non CNC chamber...didn't care ( btw they did not fit my headers better than the AFR even when the AFR heads; had both 265cc ovals on a short deck and 325cc on a tall deck same car same headers in fact same headers for over 20 years...god I need new headers) as i had just gotten my fresh F1A-94 procharger whatever they flow they flow add boost....
Fast forward im disabled, close to maybe needing a leg removed and its time to refresh the engine ( in 67 Camaro but this is the BBC forum period). I am thinking I am going to omit the blower and home convertered sequentially MPI injected ( with home built reverse top and 102mm LS tb) Edelbrock Oval Port Street ram intake, in favor of something more civil and easier to maintain for daughter and grandson ( got this car from my uncle over 30 years ago whom was like my dad I never had). It's 4l80e with billet lock up stall around 3600ish and 3.25 ford 9 inch geared...( don't care what anyone says I love those 1200hp 6 pinion worm gear diffs you can get cheap now applies power so perfectly even when it's blowing tires to hell can steer it in my lane )...

As this is looking to be possibly a NA refresh and due to the fact the consensus seems to be the non CNC chamber option of this head is flowing an abysmal 313cfm at .600 grossly mis advertised or I'd obviously have paid the $250 for CNC chambers( Cam is a Howard's Hyd roller ramp .008 take up, ground on a billet core, 233/247 .600/.612 115+4 and I used morel dual pressure fed SOLID roller lifters near zero lash cold, yea it doesn't roll over at 6200-6500 like usual it has pulled with the centri and tunnel ram to 7500 faster than I could let off a couple times; I also realize there are newer hyd lifter designs since then, I already went thru the ringer trying to get Isky and Morel lifters to not nose over or have ticks either cold or hot to no avail this has worked great on 2 engines so far over many years and whisper quite)....

Now that the 298cc exist when I first was disappointed in the head between procharger head swaps
, Brodix at the time could only run a CNC on the exhaust and chambers but they didn't have the 298cc port yet....was wondering if they could run em thru and give me that port?
While under performing by a mile on same engine vs the AFR 265cc they have been solid heads just wondering if anyone can get some .650 and under flow out of em...313cfm at .600 is actually embarrassing...
It's time during a refresh that doesn't have to be done to get them checked out anyway might as well extract what can be out of em or are they a lost cause...if they can't match 290 AFR ect what's the point I guess? Lots of cheap heads out there with good flow not sure what's the true crap from buy the head bare and work em over....I really don't want to go LS on this car the BBC gives it character....but a stock L92 head laying in my yard would outflow this pig...im very disappointed how much difference non cnc chambers made especially when they were touted as having been gasket matched and bowl blended...
I'm thinking about selling them and getting cheapo 300 ovals bare and having someone do them up the wazoo port, valve job good valves and springs, if like Brodix has said they gave up on em and moved to another design....I cant complain I got em cheap and they have held well but after selling my other car getting back on this one I really want to leave it turn key nice for the family....anything less than 600hp with this tight stall and 3.25 gears with 295/55R15 radials feels dog slow...car is heavy especially with me in it, every choice added to car is heavy and then I went from set on kill to mainly wanting to chill.....lol...

Reached out to Brodix no response so this forum literally trained me how to build strong BBC combos your my next hope...hehe....

Addendum brodix said I have to run their different port intake for their new 298cc heads so i guess I'm stuck with these good but not quite what I want heads....lol...

Come on some head porter out there you can do this...

Thanks
Shawn

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PM Vortecpro he will make your head shine for sure,
I was told it's literally a stock oval port copy so he probably would prefer to grind on aluminum all day than 781's haha....thx

·
Registered
337 Posts
Eric Weingartner did mine, he's in Oklahoma. Was great to deal with. I've not ran the motor yet, but they looked pretty. Came with a flow sheet. CFM is good, located in Indianapolis. Along with the pros mentioned above. Tell them your combo, what your goals are, use of vehicle, and they will work with you to get ur goal best they can.

·
Premium Member
7,222 Posts
Heres a set Scott did
If I was you I would contact Scott, weingarter or Mark jones aka vortecpro and see what they have to say.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Heres a set Scott did
If I was you I would contact Scott, weingarter or Mark jones aka vortecpro and see what they have to say.
Thanks for that its funny if I read his chart right it shows 313cfm at .600 to start WITH CNC chambers which seems to be exactly what others are getting and we'll beyond the 340 advertised.....
They are a good head when I was boosted just add a psi or 2 boom done haha...zero issues out of em....
I can't even imagine what that porting cost but good work....and really appreciate you digging that up for me......

I may be better off selling them for a milder build and starting over with a small rec port....

·
Premium Member
3,244 Posts
Mine are not oval ports but the 294cc intake rect port Race Rites. Unported they basically the same as the 270cc oval ports just gasket matched to a rectangle port. Mine were ported by Mike Stark of CFM Performance here in Indianapolis.
Mike does real nice work and very reasonable. Had mine freshened up this winter with a little additional porting.

Attachments

Reactions: shovelrick

·
Premium Member
3,217 Posts

Eric is great to deal with and does nice work. If I can ever get more than a couple of days off a month I hope to be able to show off what some of his work can really do.

Have used and would also recommend Mike Stark.

Reactions: Malibu ss 64

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Eric is great to deal with and does nice work. If I can ever get more than a couple of days off a month I hope to be able to show off what some of his work can really do.

Thanks buddy
Looks like he doesn't do that anymore, when I click that link or go to it from his menu it just reverts back to his stock 270cc build to suit, no port to services :(

I'm guessing many have up on these heads haha really wishing I had went small rec port especially when I consider I had to find and home brew modify a discontued oval part base intake anyway haha...even their rec seems a lot better in real world...isn't that what Bob used back in the day?

I think I had already emailed him about it before but I'll try again...appreciate the time to provide the link.....someone send me a link to their 270 flow sheet after full porting and I kid you not it was just under what Brodix says out the box haha....I was like damn.....I live a couple hours from them I've used them off and on since I was 16 or so with the original track 1 215cc SBC....they have never over advertised to this degree and then abandoned a head like that...with the Track 1s the Dart Iron Eagle and Pro 1 got popular so they sent back in and made them a 221cc with IIRC a bigger valve and guess what allowed me to trade mine in on the newer design plus cash, which I proudly did...and raced with em...guess those days are gone they didn't even want to talk about lining these heads out to remotely close to advertised numbers when it's obvious now they have files for them...they use a similar cnc model on several exhaust port...they could at least done that and cnc chambers ( and I don't mean for free btw ).

Thanks everyone for the price of some of the more higher quality off shore designs im probably better off swapping to a small rec port and doing a different intake someone will want these for a milder build....in all honestly my "oval base" is a rec port inside I can probably easily gasket match it from 294-315cc easily...( well nothing is easy for me these days )

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

I did email him after the video because in this case of maybe my life, time is a restriction...I may grab some junk offshore castings and let someone to their thing to them, while I make passes this fall while I still have 2 legs haha and waking up...haha......
The video you posted isn't old not sure why his link didn't work but I've emailed...my wife even travels near broken arrow now and then on company business so I could avoid the shipping....lol.

Thanks again everyone, id like to toss something on cheap and let someone take their time with these/sell when I pull to refresh...

Team Chevelle STILL the best place for our old Dinosaur info....thanks to everyone whom has ever contributed....and sorry for my old man ramblings....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts