Team Chevelle banner

Can anyone help me with ignition wiring?

716 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  John_Muha 
#1 ·
I know I don't have a Chevelle, but I do have a '67 Impala, and the basic wiring should be the same I would think.

So I've had this car sitting for about a year, and have finally gotten around to getting it back up and running. Last time the car ran, I had a shop do the ignition wiring and MSD 6A install.

Since it's been so long, I'm having trouble remembering what goes where.

Are there any wiring diagrams out there? Could someone maybe draw one up for me?

What i need basically is from the ignition switch, to the starter, to the distributor and the coil, to theh alternator.

I have an HEI distibutor, but it has an MSD external coil. There are 3 wires that come off the distributor. They would normally plug into the cap, but since there is no coil there, where do they go now?

I know it sounds like a lot...maybe it is, but it's the last thing i need to do to get my car going again. Any help would be much appreciated.

--Marcus

See less See more
#2 ·
try his site... http://www.team67.com/information/index.htm

Complete set of 67 Chevelle schematics there.

The factory service manual has schematic for impala too, just don't have mine in front of me here.

Oops! - now I see, you aren't hooking up a stock ignition.

I can't remember the specifics for a HEIU with external coil, but maybe you could download instructions from mallory or accel which tell where each wire goes. One thing I do know though, the wire which should go to the positive side of your coil needs to come off the ignition terminal of your fusebox (not the resistance wire which went to your stock coil)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.