Chevelles.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Feel a little silly about this but I finally figured out what has been continously draining the last two batteries I've used...seems that the 'new' remanufactured NAPA one-wire alternator (bought more than a year ago) was dead from the get-go.
It had a life-time warranty on it and I had it replaced today with a fresh one THAT actually WORKS.

A year ago, I assumed that the 'new' alternator was working just fine out of the box, especially since it had that "tested and quality control" sticker on it.

Haven't had a chance to take her out yet but I was wondering if I've lost a performance edge all of this time by running off of the battery alone without it being recharged by the alternator? Any opinions?

------------------
502 Rat Infested 1970 Malibu - Gold Member #39
Keep America Beautiful - Drive A Brute Force Chevelle!
http://pages.about.com/wescolby/personal.html

·
Registered
330 Posts
Wes, yes, they can make the whole thing work bad if they are defective. Many times the voltage will appear OK, but one part of the windings tree, three side charging phase, or diode package will not produce, and the alt will only make 66 percent of proper charge, the low amperage will not make ignition systems work right, low spark output, etc.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks...that makes sense to me IgnitionMan. It would also explain why I recently had two spark plugs that appeared to be oil fouled. Immediately after switching to the second battery (first one died after being discharged and recharged way too many times), those spark plugs cleaned right up just after a short cruise. Had me real confused at the time. Makes sense - not enough spark I suppose. Guess she should pull harder on top end with full voltage...now if it would just stop raining.

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
Can't make you Texas guys happy can we,you b!tch when it doesn't rain and you b!tch when it does rain.

------------------
Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
There are no strangers here, only friends you haven't met.
Maryland Chevelle Club

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HEY LEO...GET OFF ME!!! I DON'T COMPLAIN - I NEVER COMPLAIN - WHAT MAKES YOU THINK THAT I COMPLAIN??!! HUH!!??

Just kidding Leo...still haven't taken her out to flex some muscle yet but I can already tell that she idles smoother.
And for the record, we need more rain!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts