Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently realized how vital the camshaft is on an engine's performance, but I need a well detailed explanation to help me understand some camshaft terms. First, what does "duration" mean?? Where does crankshaft rotation come into play?? What is "lift"?? What is a rocker arm ratio?? How do you calculate how far the intake valve opens?? I read in a hot rod magazine about a 409 inch hemi that has been "destroked", what does this mean??

The courtesy and co-operation is sincerely appreciated.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Check out the March 2000 edition of Chevy High Performance ("Cam-Tastic" issue). Its got ALL the information you need. Its one of those magazines that you'll never throw away. It covers everything from the basics (like function, explaination of duration and lift, etc.), to degreeing a camshaft for optimal performance. Seriously, check it out!

------------------
Jeremy J. Bennett
Team Chevelle #298
1972 Chevelle

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Runs searches on this site as well. Using words such as "lift" or "LSA" or " cam selection" and sorting through the Performance and Chevelle Tech forums. You'll find plenty of material.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.