Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

· Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
good afternoon. Do you know what is happening with the camshafts and other parts that are not available in Summit, Jets, etc?

@Tapatalk

· Registered
1,692 Posts
Been like that since January can’t figure out what’s changed since then. 🤷‍♂️

· Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are the sticks Chinese? LOL

@Tapatalk

· Super Moderator
10,425 Posts
Lots of stuff not available right now. I have been wating on three rotating assemblies for at least 4 months. Camshafts are due to no cores being available. Lifters seem to be making a comeback lately. For a while you couldnt find them either.

Its not just car stuff either. The "global supply chain" is a mess. Just do a search on Google.

· Premium Member
1,770 Posts
I ordered a CompCam kit in Dec 20'. They had a killer sale. Months went by. Waiting on lifter's, then core, ETA kept slipping. Finally cancelled the order. Summit had the same thing in stock but was $150 more. Ordered it anyway. They way things are now, if you see it ...buy it. If you have to order it, be prepared to wait..

· Premium Member
2,902 Posts
Took my heads to machine shop a couple weeks back. Gave him cam specs for the spring selection. He asked if I had my cam yet...I said yes. He said “Good, cause of you don’t you won’t get one, nobody has any “

· Registered
262 Posts
When I ordered my cam/ lifters a few months ago I had two different makers tell me they would be several months out on new ones after they ran through the current stock. I've been waiting on multiple backorder parts to button up my engine build since about May. Finally decided to substite the windage tray I wanted this week since the one I've had on order since early summer just got pushed back to January. It's a mess out there!

· Registered
180 Posts
As mentioned, the supply chain has bottle neck all over the place.

Items we used to receive at work (computers, memory chips, etc) in a week or so, is taking months to arrive.

I canceled the order for 2021 Toyota RAV4 TRD after waiting 8 months with no build date. I was looking at a 2022 4runner and dealers are asking 7-10K "above" the sticker price. So I am going to wait and see if prices will stabilize.

I just hope that we do not have food shortages, as that will create major social unrest.

· Vendor
9,486 Posts
We have had a pretty steady flow of cores with just a few interruptions. A few things going on in the industry including ransom ware. One camshaft companies CNC got hit and couple weeks ago. Core suppliers in the US have gotten much of the OEM business back, but they have no workers and are begging for help. Not many growing up want to work in grinding shops these days.

My advice to anyone if you want to go hotrodding by spring of next year, late spring, you better order parts within the next 2 weeks. If you wait till after the holidays...youll have parts Christmas of 2022.

· Premium Member
11,085 Posts
The question I would ask, is why are things taking so long to get better? If this is only COVID related, then they should be figuring out things. Then again, maybe they cant figure those things out.

· Registered
4,217 Posts
The cargo ships are just sitting there, backing up more and more every day... There doing this to drive the prices up. There going to run us into another depression..

The economy is like a real loge freight train, when you throw the throttle in to go it takes a lot of time getting all that weight moving and the sake goes for stopping. People who stop on rail road tracks are really asking for it.. That train needs a half mile to slow down and stop..

· Vendor
9,486 Posts
The question I would ask, is why are things taking so long to get better? If this is only COVID related, then they should be figuring out things. Then again, maybe they cant figure those things out.
During GM's strike in 2019....I learned then that 1 day of strike cost GM 4 days of production....I've got a friend that supplies parts to a refrigeration mfg....He says that 1 Italian supplier can't ship a $9 part to them. Some parts of Italy were shut down 90 days..... 90 x 4 = 360 days behind in production.

· Vendor
9,486 Posts
I'm told one of the largest retailers/grocers has guaranteed $25K per container for shipping from overseas.... 2 years ago a container was $3500.......Its coming.....just got notice on blocks price going up 37% retro active.....

· Premium Member
11,085 Posts
Chris has connections, so, none of that makes any sense.

· Vendor
9,486 Posts
Manufacturing in our industry can not get workers. Many are working with a work force of less than 80% of what they need, but orders are through the roof. One warehouse located next to a shipping company gets out bid for labor every time...The warehouse which is major parts mfg has ordered an automated parts picking system but won't get delivery of it till sometime middle of next year.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.