Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok building a new engine for my 71 chevelle specs are as follows
Lightweight internally balanced forged crank
6.0" forged h-beams
4.030 RaceTec AutoTec 4032 flat tops -5cc valve cutouts
AFR 195 65cc street heads 1.5 SS Full Roller Rockers
Speedmaster Downdraft ITB with 39lb ford racing injectors
Pantera EFI 882C ECU/Redline Weber 882C/034 Motorsports (all the companies it's sold under)
LS1 coil per cylinder off 58x wheel
ATI 6.325 balancer
700r4 full manual reverse pattern w/engine brake decently built on a 2600 stall/maybe a t5 down the road not sure yet
10 bolt 8.5 3.73 on a 28.5 diameter tire
Pro touring/road race style suspension.
This is my question my solid flat tappet camshaft in the 355 I was running is speced
246/246 @.050
274/274 advertised
.535/.535
108 LSA
So do I spec a new cam for the 383?
I feel a 106LSA and a little more overlap around 72 would be ideal on the 383 give it decent street manners and be bearable on the highway.
I would like to jump into a solid roller I understand that would include new springs, rev kit, girdle, on top of the cost of good lifters along with regular maintance. Am I splitting hairs? Should I just run my already owned cam and lifters any ideas of the difference I will see in performance? Any real insight would be nice. Gonna ask this on a couple different forums see some opinions on the subject. Please if you respond can you back up why you believe I should go one way or another here.

·
Premium Member
9,512 Posts
How often do you see the track where it would make a difference?

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
IMHO, your cam is way too big if you want a streetable motor. You'll have a tranny with O/D, a good stall, great heads, good rear gears, EFI, and an otherwise great combo. You don't need a huge cam to make great power.....and you need to be realistic about what RPM range your motor will actually live in.

This is in stark contrast to what you currently have but I'd go with a HR cam in the mid-220s @ .050 matched to your heads. Both CamKing and Straub have something for you.

Reactions: Steve R

·
Registered
124 Posts
IMHO, your cam is way too big if you want a streetable motor. You'll have a tranny with O/D, a good stall, great heads, good rear gears, EFI, and an otherwise great combo. You don't need a huge cam to make great power.....and you need to be realistic about what RPM range your motor will actually live in.

This is in stark contrast to what you currently have but I'd go with a HR cam in the mid-220s @ .050 matched to your heads. Both CamKing and Straub have something for you.
He has good heads and can really benefit from a bigger cam , I agree on the lsa , but this is a solid cam , acts "smaller " for given duration .... Stay away from a cam with split duration , you don't need it ..

Here is a [email protected] .050 hr cam in a 406 with afr195 , air gap and good annular 750 .

Peaks little over 500/500 at 5500 , carries pretty good to 6 and falls off . Good morel lifters. 4602's

I say stick with the solid , similar ish' duration , and little wider lsa for the efi

Check out what bullet , straub , etc have to say ...

My .02

1 - 8 of 8 Posts