Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,227 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,074 Posts
The 4t 1le Camaro is an extremely balanced car.
Pretty poor comparison to compare a 4 door 6 cylinder Camry (actually not "bad" looking) to a 4cylinder Camaro.
It should have been 6 cylinder vs 6 cylinder but for bs purposes they had to somehow make the Camry appear better than it is. The 6 cylinder Camaro is 335hp and 284lbft of torque. A no brainer...

I drove a 2019 3lt R/S Camaro yesterday which is a nicely built driver. The car actually handles quite well and the 3lt trim is pretty up there in classiness. I haven't been inside the Camry so I can't have an opinion on it's interior. The choice between the two would boil down to space requirements. The Camaro is going to be the power/handling winner period but for a daily the Camry wouldn't be bad. I noticed in the Camaro yesterday that you could hardly fit a sheet of paper between the back of the front seat and the rear seat. In my mind this is an issue if you need to haul children along.
On a trip the Camry would likely be the more comfortable choice based on roominess alone.
Present day GM is grossly lacking in vision.

·
Premium Member
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why would they even build a 4 cyl.?
Because people want the Camaro looks without the poor fuel economy of the V8 (relatively speaking). The 4 cylinder model is also less money. They had a 4 cylinder Camaro back in the 80s, too (the modern one is much quicker). Another reason is that each automaker has to meet the CAFE standards (fuel efficiency across their lineup) - the 4 cylinder helps to meet those standards.

Reactions: 71350SS and Steve R

·
Registered
8,590 Posts
Why do they put a back seat in the Camaro? 100% non useable unless you have no legs. How can this get from the design stage to production like that?

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
Because most drivers are perfectly fine with driving 10 under the posted speed limit in the left lane. There is no need for torque and horsepower when their car has more than enough to drive Miss Daisy around.
That would be funny, except in stock form these will run 13.70’s, which is substantally quicker than the majority of the 1st and early second generation performance models available. I still wouldn’t want one, but they shouldn’t be dismissed outright based on the number of cylinders in the engine bay.

Steve R

·
Premium Member
9,029 Posts
Because people want the Camaro looks without the poor fuel economy of the V8 (relatively speaking). The 4 cylinder model is also less money. They had a 4 cylinder Camaro back in the 80s, too (the modern one is much quicker). Another reason is that each automaker has to meet the CAFE standards (fuel efficiency across their lineup) - the 4 cylinder helps to meet those standards.
They should have used a V6 Camaro V. a V6 Camry :angry:
But why a 4 cyl Camaro? Brian nailed it with this answer.The CAFE standards that keeps increasing year after year and no matter what tech they come out with that CAFE (Corporate Average Fuel Economy) standard just keeps on increasing every year.
But what is that 4 cylinder power output ? 275HP & 295 Torque?that's not too bad,almost as much as an L48 350 in 1970 and as much as an L48 350 after the HP drop across the board :pout: in 71.

·
Premium Member
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They should have used a V6 Camaro V. a V6 Camry :angry:
But why a 4 cyl Camaro? Brian nailed it with this answer.The CAFE standards that keeps increasing year after year and no matter what tech they come out with that CAFE (Corporate Average Fuel Economy) standard just keeps on increasing every year.
But what is that 4 cylinder power output ? 275HP & 295 Torque?that's not too bad,almost as much as an L48 350 in 1970 and as much as an L48 350 after the HP drop across the board :pout: in 71.
The reason they chose the 4 cylinder Camaro for the comparison was the cost. Both the 4 cylinder Camaro and the 6 cylinder Camry were very close in price to each other. The 6 cylinder Camaro is more expensive (about $3,000 more for that engine with the automatic).

Reactions: 71350SS and Steve R

·
Premium Member
12,704 Posts
Absolutely, positively no contest. Id go with the Camry 100%. It has ten times the build quality of the Camaro. Ten years down the road the Camry owner will be saying what a great car it has been while the Camaro owner will be bitching about all the things he has had to fix. Been there done that. Several times.

·
Premium Member
5,209 Posts
It appears Chevy needed one because ecoboost Mustangs have been pretty successful. I rented and drove a 17 ecoboost and it had plenty of power, even being a heavy car. That engine can be boosted to 400hp plus.

That said I did opt for the Coyote.

·
Premium Member
11,074 Posts
Absolutely, positively no contest. Id go with the Camry 100%. It has ten times the build quality of the Camaro. Ten years down the road the Camry owner will be saying what a great car it has been while the Camaro owner will be bitching about all the things he has had to fix. Been there done that. Several times.
This is why the Toyota dealer in El Monte Ca has 104 service bays. Trust me, it isn't all for customer pay service calls. Your analogy is 30 years behind the times.

·
Premium Member
12,704 Posts
This is why the Toyota dealer in El Monte Ca has 104 service bays. Trust me, it isn't all for customer pay service calls. Your analogy is 30 years behind the times.
Im not saying that Toyota never require maintenance but compared to GM vehicles they are hands above as far as reliability. I have owned two brand new Toyotas and one brand new Honda (2019). I have owned five new GM vehicles, the latest a 2012. So my analogy/opinion is not 30 years old. It was the reliability of the 2012 Buick Regal GS that had me swear off buying any more GM vehicles.
You know screw me four times shame on you, screw me five times shame on me. If GM built reliable, good looking vehicles Honda and Toyota wouldnt have such market share.
Its noy my fault GM builds sh*+y vehicles. They did it to themselves.

·
Banned
1,293 Posts
Think it has anything to do with the Camry out numbering the Camaro 95-1 in that area?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts