Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am a bit of a newbie now on board here.

I am well versed in Camaros...i.e. former CRG Associate Member, Vintage Camaro Judge and Former USCC Tech Advisor and Judge. My research has been heavy on 1967 Camaros...Van Nuys cars with a heavy dash of Norwood thrown in. Survivor cars are my favorite and my forte.

On the other side of the coin. I am a 23.5 career firefighter EMT-B in El Paso, Texas. My lovely wife is a business major at UTEP. We breed and show champion Cocker Spaniels and also have been breeding and showing Boxers for almost 20 years. My girl and boy Rayne and Chevy are first cousins to the bitch that won Westminster dog show this year, Devlin. I was also a pro drummer at one time: Mania with Roy Murry of Malo fame and recorded at Artisan Sound Recorders with a few known bands...etc. etc. I was a cartiage employee for Ross Garfield at Drum Doctors - Drum Rental Los Angeles LA back in the late 80's. Showing my age...LOL...51.

So, I am here to learn more about Chevelles, '67 to be specific. We just purchased a '67 300 Deluxe (starter car) for my wife and we are eager to learn. I have been owned by many '67 Camaros (see below) including a '67 BB 4speed Van Nuys IPC survivor 79,000 mile car MikeRossi and a survivor '67 L78 RSSS with 19,000 miles (not mine but helped a friend purchase it)...the IPC now with a Team Chevelle member.

The car in question has 80,000 miles with on repaint in lacquer Emerald Turquoise. I believe new seat covers were put on the car as well. The engine is a 230 with a Powerglide on the column. No other options on the cowl tag. This is a one owner car prior to coming to our home. Almost all rust free, a little scale around the rear window on the interior. The engine, trans, and rear are original to the car. IMHO this car is almost a survivor. Photos to follow along with NCRS doc once received.

Glad to be here and I welcome any and all comments.

Thank you!!!

Best Regards,
Mike Rossi

Attachments

·
Registered
616 Posts
Quite a resume. Good to have you here.

Richard

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
for a "starter car for the wife" may I suggest a more modern (LS) drivetrain for driveability and comfort? OR if shes into numbers matching / originals so be it. Welcome! I used to play keyboards in a local small band "FEZ" from Bay Area 1980s (also 52) ! Cool! Got a 66 Chevelle...468 BBC (625 HP street machine)

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
Welcome to Team Chevelle, Mike! I hear you on the 67 fixation. You have a nice stable of vehicles already, and 67 was a banner year for cars. Your 300 Deluxe 2-door sounds like the way those cars were typically ordered, that is, practically stripped. I have spent many hours learning stuff via the CRG website, plus the pilot Camaro website is also very interesting.

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
Welcome to Team Chevelle, Mike

If #s matching then I would leave the 6 and PG in it
and just do a Refresh on everything

That way the wife can enjoy driving it like it was back in my day ( 65 yrs old )

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
Welcome Mike, to Team Chevelle.....:waving:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you gentlemen.

My plan is to put back what is missing. Leave as original as possible and do no harm.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here are a few quick photos.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
8,740 Posts
Welcome to Team Chevelle Mike

·
Registered
617 Posts
Nice car. :thumbsup:

Welcome from Nevada.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
for a "starter car for the wife" may I suggest a more modern (LS) drivetrain for driveability and comfort? OR if shes into numbers matching / originals so be it. Welcome! I used to play keyboards in a local small band "FEZ" from Bay Area 1980s (also 52) ! Cool! Got a 66 Chevelle...468 BBC (625 HP street machine)
I never had national notoriety, but always fun just the same. Thanks for the welcome. Gonna stay N#s matching.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for sharing. Same type of car as we have here. I only wish it had a 327/powerglide combo.

·
Premium Member
4,967 Posts
Welcome Mike,

Much of what you know mechanically about Camaros will translate to the Chevelle. Brakes, front suspension, under hood, wiring and the way things are assembled will seem very familiar to you.

My 67 is a 300 Deluxe 2 door that I've had since 1988.

One of the things you'll find with the Deluxe (and base 300) is that many of the unique interior parts are not available in reproduction. The Malibu and SS396 parts will fit and function but won't be "correct". Your car has Malibu door panels on it. The arm rest bases would not have been chromed, but colored plastic matching your interior color. You seats have been redone and the pattern is not a match for the originals. It looks from here like your interior steel areas have been repainted as evidenced by the overspray on the wiring under the column, painted over screws for the wing windows, and what looks like poor masking around the heater controls.

Your new car looks great and I hope you enjoy it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Welcome Mike,

Much of what you know mechanically about Camaros will translate to the Chevelle. Brakes, front suspension, under hood, wiring and the way things are assembled will seem very familiar to you.

My 67 is a 300 Deluxe 2 door that I've had since 1988.

One of the things you'll find with the Deluxe (and base 300) is that many of the unique interior parts are not available in reproduction. The Malibu and SS396 parts will fit and function but won't be "correct". Your car has Malibu door panels on it. The arm rest bases would not have been chromed, but colored plastic matching your interior color. You seats have been redone and the pattern is not a match for the originals. It looks from here like your interior steel areas have been repainted as evidenced by the overspray on the wiring under the column, painted over screws for the wing windows, and what looks like poor masking around the heater controls.

Your new car looks great and I hope you enjoy it.
Zeke,

Good eye, you are the man!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: I didn't even catch that overspray. We brought the car home for a week and off it went to the shop. Cam filled me in on the issue with the lack of availability of the interior. SMS/Al Knoch custom interior may be on the agenda one of these days. For now the car stays as is and my wife and I will enjoy it that way. We even have a correctly dated 327 which is right for the car, as at the end of the year much can happen. It may be dropped in it eventually. I just wanted a car for her to enjoy. It is all about fun with this car. Re: the grand kids piled in the car and off to Sonic or the Grand Canyon (road trip)...you know what I mean. I see lots of miles being racked up this girls odometer. LOL gringe. :surprise::grin2::surprise::grin2:

The next step will be window fuzzies. Any input there will be greatly appreciated.

We are even looking into American Racing knock offs for the car or possibly N96 Camaro/Chevelle wheel covers; which I have many sets of for the car. I just had to tear up the original paint on the factory wheels hammering on the mag wheel covers. :surprise:>:):surprise:>:)

Mike

1 - 19 of 19 Posts