Team Chevelle banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 86 Camaro either has a blown head gasket or a cracked head- either way, it needs to come apart to fix it.. so being the gearhead that i am, i got to thinking that it might not hurt to swap on a set of the later aluminum heads if they will go on..
i know the valve covers are different and the pushrods are probably different thanks to the splayed valves on the later heads, but is it otherwise a bolt on deal? intake and exhaust flanges the same?

i want to put a V8 in it like it should have, but i don't have a complete V8 and all the parts to swap it in at this point and fwd cars with good 3.1's in them are plentiful in the junkyards. plus, i really want to just get that car back on the road since it gets better gas mileage and is more comfortable for my 35 mile work commute than the 87 Celebrity i'm borrowing..

·
Premium Member
486 Posts
When you tear it down pay attention to the intake gaskets they fail all the time.Are yu getting smoke-steam out of tailpipe or water in the oil= intermix?

·
Registered
18,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i'm getting a severely pressurized cooling system within 30 seconds of startup and blowing a lot of coolant out the exhaust while it's running. if i don't crack the radiator cap, it will hold pressure in the cooling system for a long time after shutting the engine off. it also runs kind of rough like it's running on 5 cylinders.
no coolant in the oil or oil in the coolant and the coolant level doesn't go down when the car is sitting.
it was using some coolant when i first got it, but a can of magical Prestone radiator sealer took care of that until this happened...

it acts just like when i cracked a head on the 305 in an 86 Caprice i had a few years ago, except i did that at 85mph in the interstate on a 100 degree day with the AC blowing ice cold...

it overheated about a month ago when i was driving home from work. the outside temp was close to -20, and i think the sealer i put in the radiator to stop it from using coolant until spring might have caused the freezing point in the coolant to raise enough to allow it to freeze up, even tho it tested to -30 on my Prestone tester.

or maybe the Prestone "fix in a bottle" didn't hold up as long as i hoped it would.. i will not use that stuff in a car with an engine that i actually care about, but i wanted that car to just get thru the cold part of the winter at least... the water pump it still good, and the radiator core is still flowing. it just build pressure fast and spews out the tailpipe..

i think i answered my own question about using the aluminum fwd heads on it by looking at reman heads on the NAPA website- the exhaust looks the same or similar enough to work, but the intake flange is completely different on the pics they have on their site. looks like i'm stuck with cast iron F body or S series 2.8/3.1/3.4 heads if i need a head or two.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts