Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im trying to do the ol' 400hp for under 1000 and im well on my way. The wife said hell no to heads (wooopish :eek:) so those will wait. So ill just do the new cam and all the other goodies, no 400hp for this guy. But heres my question. I was gonna reference the cam to the heads for best results. Can I pick a set of heads in relation to the cam at a later time? Just dont wanna waste money ya know, in this economy!! :yes: ~Semper I~

·
Registered
994 Posts
Hi there, I dont know what size engine you're playing with but if its a 350 I'll grab a nice set of (used) Vortecs "$100", machine work for the heads "$150", Voodoo 268 cam kit "$197.00 and Weiand Air Stirke intake "$200. There is $650 and u still have $350 to play with if you're doing the installation yourself. Yes i know I left out valve springs but those can be had for roughly $100 after you break in your cam with your stock springs that are already on the heads. And you'll have money left over to take her out.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
haha i like your style vette lol. So youve been around the block with this issue before haha. Good idea brandon that helps alot actually. I guess now ill search craigslist or ebay for some used vortec heads. thanks guys, and thanks for teaching me how to effectively bypass the truth to my wife :)

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
If you get Vortec heads you need a vortec intake and they are not as easy to find used..... Don't forget the self aligning rockers.... then there are the valve covers....

I like the vortec heads but just make sure you get everything you need before you spend the money on used parts.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
If you get Vortec heads you need a vortec intake and they are not as easy to find used..... Don't forget the self aligning rockers.... then there are the valve covers....

I like the vortec heads but just make sure you get everything you need before you spend the money on used parts.
plus their crack prone,and you'll still have press in studs after that.

check out the craiglists local to you. i saw a set of IRON 64 cc sportsman 2's that have had some work done by ( DR J'S ) on the la craigs their setup for a solid cam already and come with an intake and rockers, add a decent cam and gaskets and theirs your 400hp. 800.00

also a set of ALUM trick flows on the sd craigs need a valve redone. very small chamber though. 550.00

point being their out there, just be sure what your getting.......

·
Registered
994 Posts
Well I really think that crack prone issues has to be if he ran them HOT HOT HOT. Mine I have on my engine are 062 vortecs, ported/polished, milled with screw in studs. I had a head gasket problem with my engine when i was tryin to run the 1094 gasket and ran my engine HOT HOT twice. And my heads were still perfect no cracks/warps. And when I ran it hot BOTH times it was past the red mark on my factory temp gauge connected to the head. I posted the prices to everything that he would need so he is still far below his budget AND he's getting a cam with the prices I said. Those machining prices are here in Louisiana by the best Machinist/Engine guy in NorthEast Louisiana from what I'VE HEARD. Vortec heads nowadays are going easily here for $100-$150 all day long. Might can get some cheaper than that on a good day here. Like $28 bucks a head type deal. Returnable if they're cracked. Yea they are "crack prone" from what I've heard but I dont ever plan on letting my car get that hot again. That was MY mistake because I KNEW what was wrong and I learn from my mistakes. But OP, these guys know more than me about this stuff, I'm just speaking from experience HERE in La. Good Luck on whatever it is you choose.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Here you go a price list of what you can get and what I have.

Can get - http://cs3automotive.com/index.php?a=PROD:739
I have - http://cs3automotive.com/index.php?a=PROD:746

I have - http://www.summitracing.com/parts/LUN-60103LK/

Can get - You can get other springs that are a lil cheaper
I have - http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-941-16/

GM 10105117 .028 head gaskets from Chevy Dealership for $21 each x2 $42 bucks.

Heads 100-150 plus 150 for machining so $300 there or cheaper.

There you go, Money left over for dinner with the wife. You just made 3 ppl happy, YOU, THE WIFE, and THE CAR. Cant get any better than that. lol.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
haha well thank you gentlemen for taking the time to help me, much much appreciated. I found a good set "used" im gonna go insepect them as soon as the tax return comes in :) But I do have to get self aligning rockers? And is there a year range of heads i should look out for? And finally, what are some things to watch out for when buying used heads, to prevent me from spending the money and theyre actually more suited to sit on my work bench than on my car.

·
Banned
9,472 Posts
haha well thank you gentlemen for taking the time to help me, much much appreciated. I found a good set "used" im gonna go insepect them as soon as the tax return comes in :) But I do have to get self aligning rockers? And is there a year range of heads i should look out for? And finally, what are some things to watch out for when buying used heads, to prevent me from spending the money and theyre actually more suited to sit on my work bench than on my car.
Yes you need self aligning rockers unless you set them up for srew in studs and guide plates. The years you want are 1996-2001 I think. The casting numbers are 062 and 906 with the 062 being the more desireable ones. Things to look for are cracks, they usualy crack near a water passage but I had a set that was cracked at the head bolt hole. They are usualy fixable but may not be worth the money. Patriot sells a iron "vortec" head for $700 new ready to bolt on that usea both the vortec and standard intake bolt pattern and centerbolt and parimiter valve covers. They are set up for regular rockers and out flow the OEM vortecs. Never used them myself but want to for my project.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok so the stock ones on a vortec wont work? But heres another little question, after adding up all the little costs and not to mention the cost of the parts themselves, i might have to just go with a cam and get other parts the motor needs like a new starter, aluminum radiator, aluminum pulleys, etc... but!! how can i get a cam in my motor without wasting money in the future when i get the heads. I would rather lose money in a cam then to make an "unsure" purchase of heads. Theres so many variables and deals out there its gonna take me time to decide what type and all that. So can i put a cam in now (350 stock) that will still be appropriate with better heads.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Yep, what he said about checking them. Always check them to make sure they're not cracked like where the above poster said check. Honestly with what you are tryin to accomplish and I was tryna to accomplish more than what you were. And yes you must use the S/A rockers with the vortecs if you dont put the screw-in studs and guide plates. On mine, I have screw in studs/NO guide plates. And everything has been working perfectly for 55k miles and counting. I dont see why you can't just use the stock vortec/tbi rockers. I had a set of self aligning roller tips on mine but those things never got quiet for some reason. (some here probably could've got them quiet) But mine never wanted to stay quiet, So I took them off and put my stock TBI S/A rockers on (that never been on my vortecs) and the more and more I drive my car I still CANT tell the power diffence in it with just this rocker swap. And it is SSSOOOOOO much quieter and sounds/runs much sweeter. I dont see why you can't just grab a set of rockers from junkyard for about $10 off a Chevy truck. I'm thinking the pre 95 engines had some S/A rockers, which is what heads my rockers came from. Its the TBI engine. Hope you get everything in order.

·
Registered
994 Posts
ok so the stock ones on a vortec wont work? But heres another little question, after adding up all the little costs and not to mention the cost of the parts themselves, i might have to just go with a cam and get other parts the motor needs like a new starter, aluminum radiator, aluminum pulleys, etc... but!! how can i get a cam in my motor without wasting money in the future when i get the heads. I would rather lose money in a cam then to make an "unsure" purchase of heads. Theres so many variables and deals out there its gonna take me time to decide what type and all that. So can i put a cam in now (350 stock) that will still be appropriate with better heads.
Yes the stock rockers will work, thats what I'm using now on mine. So now you're thinking of not getting the heads? IF it was me, I would do cam and heads together. Or heads 1st and cam later. I dont think I'll do cam 1st and heads later. BUT THATS JUST ME. My thinking was you had $1000 for heads/cam ONLY. Didnt know you had to buy starter and others with the same $1000. Thats why I posted the links with the prices on a cam/head swap BUDGETLY! What year 350 do you already have? And why loose money on a cam than the vortecs?? A cam/lifter kit is rougly $200 and YOU WILL NEED NEW LIFTERS WITH A NEW CAM. And the vortecs you found, I hope you're not paying over $150 for them. I surely know I wouldnt spend over $150 on a set of (used) vortecs. There is a sticky on installing the cam in the stickies. THIS MUST BE DONE CORRECTLY BTW. :yes:

·
Banned
9,472 Posts
Ok, your kinda losing me there on your cam talk but the stock rockers that come on vortecs are self aligning. nothing really wrong with using that style rocker, just make sure you do if they are required. As for the cam, depending on what heads and compressin you have now it might end up being a turd with just a cam. Just about any mild to street performance cam you add will benifit from a better set of heads whether they are vortecs, or aftermarket performance heads. Do you really need a expencive aluminum radiator and aluminum pulleys? Whats wrong with your stock pulleys? a stock replacement radiator will probably be more than enough and you can get a reman starter at Kragen. if you dont need the best expensive parts then get what will work and save the rest of the budget for the heads and cam. If you just do a cam, just make sure it matches the rest of the combo.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok so the heads i found were 250 bones. I dont have to buy a starter and stuff, my motor runs fine it would just be all the little upgrades instead of heads and a cam is what i was getting at. The only thing im worried about is the hidden costs. Such as i need new heads, cam and lifters.... plus a new double roller timing chain, plus gaskets, plus machine work, plus intake, and my performer 600 carb might not be sufficient. Its like a snowball effect :) im almost contemplating two things.
1. buy aluminum heads off ebay like chp did for 500 bones. no need for intake, etc...
2. buy a 200 dollar motor and over time build that.

THIS IS TOUGH!!

·
Banned
9,472 Posts
Ok, try this.

buy these heads, http://www.jegs.com/i/Patriot-Performance/723/2151/10002/-1?parentProductId=1192214

A voodoo 268 cam and use your intake and carb. all you`ll need is a gasket kit and a timing set which you can get a cheap summit brand double roller which is probably a big name part sold under summits name. you should be able to come in under your $1000 if you shop around.

What kind of condition is your current engine in? you start adding performance parts to a old engine and it wont last long. If its got alot of miles you would be better off rebuilding another engine to swap in there.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Ok, try this.

buy these heads, http://www.jegs.com/i/Patriot-Performance/723/2151/10002/-1?parentProductId=1192214

A voodoo 268 cam and use your intake and carb. all you`ll need is a gasket kit and a timing set which you can get a cheap summit brand double roller which is probably a big name part sold under summits name. you should be able to come in under your $1000 if you shop around.

What kind of condition is your current engine in? you start adding performance parts to a old engine and it wont last long. If its got alot of miles you would be better off rebuilding another engine to swap in there.
LIKE HE SAID, Man you have to give us some lead way of what you already have. Is it a running engine? Is it a engine on a stand waiting to go in or what? What year 350 is it? What are you REALLY trying to do with the engine? I understand you wanting 400HP w/$1000, thats been put out there for you. But now you're looking at new pulleys and all. I think you're trying to make this look more of a showoff type engine with the 400hp. Which probbably WONT happen with a $1000. Are you assembling this yourself? Just let us know what we have to work with.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well previously in this post i said the motor runs fine, not trying to build a show off motor, and yes 400hp for 1000. Im just looking at all the scenarios, all the options, and save money if I can by coming back to things at a later time. Ive been in the "engine" forum for a few days also trying to disect the casting numbers from my block so that I can give specific information to those of you who are trying to help me. Im fairly new to this so its not that im with-holding information, I just dont know. Im trained to kill terrorists and blow things up, not build motors. But im trying. So here it is:

71 motor/ unknown car not original
compression: unknown/ cast iron heads.
what i have:
600 eddy performer
Performer eps manifold (eddy)
headers to 2.5'' dual thru
hei large cap distr.

thats it. Like I said, if I feel like im gonna come in over budget ill look at other things to invest in. I didnt say 500 dollar pulleys and the aluminum radiator is a connection and its cheaper than a stock replacement. Sorry for the confusion
and yes self install

·
Banned
9,472 Posts
well previously in this post i said the motor runs fine, not trying to build a show off motor, and yes 400hp for 1000. Im just looking at all the scenarios, all the options, and save money if I can by coming back to things at a later time. Ive been in the "engine" forum for a few days also trying to disect the casting numbers from my block so that I can give specific information to those of you who are trying to help me. Im fairly new to this so its not that im with-holding information, I just dont know. Im trained to kill terrorists and blow things up, not build motors. But im trying. So here it is:

71 motor/ unknown car not original
compression: unknown/ cast iron heads.
what i have:
600 eddy performer
Performer eps manifold (eddy)
headers to 2.5'' dual thru
hei large cap distr.

thats it. Like I said, if I feel like im gonna come in over budget ill look at other things to invest in. I didnt say 500 dollar pulleys and the aluminum radiator is a connection and its cheaper than a stock replacement. Sorry for the confusion
I didnt say anything about $500 pulleys but cant see how the aluminum radiator is cheaper than the stock replacment but ok. $00hp for $1000 is not hard and has been explained to you. A good set of vortecs and the voodoo 268 cam will get you there or damn close. "cast iron heads" tells me nothing becasue there are so many casting numbers that gm used so I realyl need the casting number. You probably have dished pistons as well so with some vortecs with the 64cc chamber you`ll be around 9:1 compression. you may need a bigget stall converter with that cam, well I know you will but many have used a stock converter.

Honestly, and I mean no disrespect, you seem like your new to the hobby and thats great, glad to have you here and we all gotta start somewhere but your leaving too much stuff out. If your engine runs good now, why mess with it? find another core and rebuild it so that all the parts match and also match the style of driving your going to do. 400hp is alot if you`ve never experienced it first hand. I`ve had my share of performance engines over the last 18yrs and my curret ride has a GMPP 290hp 350. Its probably the most stock engine I`ve ever had other than the original 283 in my first 65 chevelle but this thing runs good. Will it run low 12`s like my old 327 did? No but it`s a great driver engine and makes enough power to get in trouble with. When you start building a 400hp engine your going to need a higher stall converter, a stronger transmission, posi and probably better matched gear ratio and a bunch of little things. take your time, build it right and you`ll be happy you did. Im iching to put a cam in my engine since I`m going to have it out of the car anyway but it runs so good I hate to tear into it. Just drive your car and enjoy it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts