Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've done it with a dial indicator before and it was pretty close, any differences I'd blame on deflection, pushrod length, operator error etc..If you really want to do it this way, then the better way would be to pull the intake and use a solid lifter and multiply that x your rocker ratio. But if you think it's an aftermarket cam you could pull the timing cover and if it is it will give you the manufacturer and part #. Or better yet call your favorite grinder and pick a cam you really like and put it in.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
BTJ has it. Use a dial on a mag stand, tip on the end of the rocker just above the pushrod should do 'er. Better to measure on the lifter but just make sure of positive contact and no slipping of the tip. I seem to remember opening the valve all the way,setting the tip on the top of the rocker and then measuring the closing distance worked better. ( Hey' it's been 20 yrs!)Don;t measure the valve end, migght be too much travel to be accurate and remember to do your conversion X the rocker ratio. Like anything else do it 3 times and see if your readings are divergent.

[This message has been edited by Gene Chas (edited 12-22-1999).]

·
Gold Founding Member
978 Posts
on a bbc, does the water pump or oil pan have to come off to remove the timing cover??? or just the pulleys , balancer then the cover...

oh yes and the bolt...lets not forget that ..rite dale??? :p :p :p LOL

------------------
Rich
Cocoa Beach, Fla
Team Chevelle #380
[email protected]
www.chevelles.com/showroom/70_SS_454.jpg

·
Registered
155 Posts
Sorry. Off the topic. I couldn't resist.

uhh Rich, that's the washer...the bolt was easy.

Yes you do need to clear off the front of the engine, but not the pan. Also you will want to change the oil and filter. Fill up the filter with oil. I read something here about the oil pump losing suction when doing a chain job. Mine clattered like crazy then I changed the oil, charged the filter...blessed quiet from the valve train.

------------------
Dale P.
Team Chevelle Member# 423
65 El Camino
72 Monte Carlo
"..you did you take the washer off, right?"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.