Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the engine still in the car, Can I pull the timing cover-
Install a new cam & re-install the timing cover without screwing up the oilpan seal?

Also-
I'm looking at getting either a CompCams Magnum 270h or an Extreme Energy 268

Can these cams be installed the same direction as the stock one it is replacing, or will they require degreeing to run right?

1969 Elcamino
GM Crate motor target 350
1 peice timing cover

Thanks-
Ben

------------------
Ben Rambow
My '69 El Camino
The El Camino Classics Club
TC's July Feature Car

·
Registered
548 Posts
Ben I changed cam in my pickup and didn't drop the pan no leaks after,undo the cover bolts and tip the top forward it should release the pan seal,use sealer when replacing the cover.I also used the Extreme Energy 268 installed it staight up wished I had advanced it,I run a Crane with the same specs in my Chevelle advanced 4 degrees much more torque, didn't degree them...FRED

------------------

·
Registered
514 Posts
when i changed the cam on my motor i used silicone for the oil pan and i didnt degree my cam either but i also dont know how well it will run yet (still a project just about to become a car)

·
Premium Member
5,068 Posts
I did my 350 cam swap with the motor in the car. I got cocky and yanked on the TC cover. Well it tore out the front two corners of the oil pan's runner gaskets. I ended up buying one of the "1 piecers" from Autozone. Wasn't too tuff of an install either. AND it didn't leak at all when I was done! -something to keep in mind if Murphy's law sneaks up on you.

------------------
71' 3880# with me. Big Block 402, TH400, 3.73 posi,
BEST 1/8th: 8.252 @ 84.56mph (1.855 sixty foot)
Last years previous best 1/4: 13.1sec @ 105 MPH (2.10 sixty foot)
Picture of me roasting the tires and other guy stuff
Video of me staging (smoke of course)

·
Registered
501 Posts
This is a biatch! I woul dtake the motor out before I I did it that way I did. I pulled the raidator and condensor out to have enough clearance for the cam to come out of the block. Not to mention tearing down the front end of the motor. It took me about 3 days to finally get the damn thing put back together, and 2250 miles after I did this it started to pop and spit and be uncooperative. I had to do the same thing over again. PITA!!!! I would rather pull a motor out of the engine bay than to take out the condensor. If you have no AC, then thats No Problem.

------------------
350 4speed 12bolt 3.73's
Bench Blue w/black inter. [email protected]
My 69 Chevelle

·
Premium Member
7,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very Cool!

Ok- next question...
Can I re-use the stock rocker arms with this new cam? I started adding up costs of this thing and its starting to get close to the $500 mark... Cam kit- Gear Drive- New Timing Cover- New gaskets- New distrib(unrelated but i have to get it)

I'd prefer to not have to spend the $150 for a set of roller rockers. Will the stock stamped ones be ok or SHOULD I just get new ones?

Thanks!
Ben

------------------
Ben Rambow
My '69 El Camino
TC's July Feature Car

·
Registered
659 Posts
I think the chevy repair manual suggests undoing the motor mounts, jacking up the engine (under oil pan), and bracing up the engine with 2x4's for a cam swap.

Of course it would seem easier to yank the motor if you have a hoist.

Never done either, so can't comment on one vs. the other experience-wise.

------------------
Charles Perrell
[email protected]
65 malibu SS Convertible
283 2v powerglide

·
Registered
214 Posts
Did you mean timing chain or are you planning on running a gear drive? Might wana do a search on gear drives if you havnt had one before and see other peoples views on em. Good luck with the swap!

Philip

·
Registered
514 Posts
i wouls check with comp to make sure you lifters and push rods are up to par, you might be able to use the stock ones but it might put a real strain on hp gains…

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
I know some people just love gear drives (at least for a little while until they get tired of not hearing anything else) but for the mild cams you're considering a chain will perform as well without all the annoying noise (and more annoying cost!).

Use the bucks you would spend on the gear drive and upgrade your rockers and springs.
I don't know what kind of roller rockers you're looking at for $150, but I don't think any good ones are available that cheap (except maybe roller tips). Quality aftermarket stamped rockers should do just fine for the cam you're using.

------------------
My Elky Page (updated 5-15-01)
"Think for yourself. Don't let popular opinion make your decisions for you."
Chad Landry
TC Member #643
ACES Member #04556
'68 El Camino

·
Premium Member
693 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,068 Posts
Ben. I started my swap saturday morning and was done by 8:00 that night. Me and my brother, who is as thick headed as I am.

Don't run a gear drive unless you like the sound of having a blower without the added power

Your stamped steel rocker will be just fine IMO. Roller's can be an added as a bonus on down the road.

·
Premium Member
7,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cool! Thanks for the tips guys!
Wow- If BB Mike can install a cam I guess i can do it too!
<just ribbin' ya dude>

I kinda like the whine of the gear drive- but then again- i kinda like the $$ in my bank account too- so a new chain may win out.

I'm still a month or so away from this, but I wanted to start to get my ducks in a row... I'm sure i'll be back with some more questions in another week or so.

Mike I may shoot you a few e-mails to since I think you did almost exactly what I'm gonna do.

Thanks guys! This site rules!

------------------
Ben Rambow
My '69 El Camino
TC's July Feature Car

·
Registered
7 Posts
My .02: I think gear drives can camshaft life, although to what extent I'm not sure. I believe they facilitate the transfer of crankshaft vibrations to the camshaft. Whereas the chain absorbs any such vibration via stretch, the gear drive has no such "give". I also think gear drives rob the engine of a little hp. If I am wrong about this, please correct me because I too, like the whine.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have the Pete Jackson quiet gear drive, I can barely hear it over the other engine noises. I also like the roller tipped rockers ,you can usually pick them up for less than $100. DON'T get the PROFORM ones. Pure junk.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.