Chevelles.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
You can kill the roudy and thumping sound of a cam by using small diameter exhaust.
Stick 3" or 4" exhaust on it NO tail pipes.

Yes I said 4" Done that on a buddies 355" 10.3 compression ported 601 heads Solid flat tappet cam [email protected] .050 on a 106LSA

It ran 11.50's in a short bed chevy truck.
If you already have big short exhaust and want a cam that sounds rowdy get a 292H comp cam.

I care less what they sound like I want them to run like a scalded dog.
I really never understood the fascination with sound and not performance.

If it was my 396" I would port the heads and stick in a 280H or something in the [email protected] .050 area and if compression is less than 11:1 I would grind it on a 110 or 108 or even a 105 LSA, if you can sacrifice MPG then go 105.

That will talk to ya and the early closing intake valve will make it pull way hard out of the hole.

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
Don't put a lumpy cam in just for the sound.. You will loose bottom end torque, the gas pedal will feel like you changed the linkage to a gum band.. Your power brakes are not going to work well..

Try unplugging the vacuum advance, the idle sound better.. You might want to raise the initial timing to 16 or 18..

Try a pair of steel pack mufflers like Porters.. No X Pipe!!

I know a Chevelle with a pair of Dynomax Super Turbos in 3" no tail pipes, it sounds like a race car..

·
Registered
11,961 Posts
If he uses no crossover at all it will have a more pronounced lope. With the rest on getting a cam that will perform not just sound good.
The right one will be just fine to the ears...these trendy cams with goofy names are mostly gimmick cams in my opinion.
Lots of exh duration and a tight lsa, blow that torque right out the tailpipe

·
Registered
333 Posts
Might try ported vacuum for the advance. The cam to have back in the day was the solid lifter 375 hp stick. Still driveable and sounded real nice cruising through town. Not real aggressive lobes, might live with today's oil. Probably an aftermarket version of this cam out there.

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,862 Posts
My pro built rat uses an Isky cam and Morel rollers. I would defintely use them again, even their flat tappet 270 or 280 Mega cams.

·
Registered
1968 Chevelle Malibu, upgraded to a 396/TH400 from a 327/PG
567 Posts
I have no clue what cam is in my 396, neither does the P.O. All I know is this: Headers, H-pipe, 2.5” full exhaust, it isn’t really rowdy but you can tell it has a hotter than stock cam in it, and she goes like a raped ape. Probably zero help.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I never understood guys who tried to go fast vs having a lumpy big sounding cam... it's not like you'll ever have the fastest car in town... but you'll get attention being with a "parking lot hero" camshaft... I've always liked a rowdy sounding engine, don't care if I gave up a couple tenths...

Go big, compression and big exhaust helps...

ak

·
Registered
1969 El Camino SS396
744 Posts
Pick a cam that matches the rest of the components and will meet your performance goals. Building for sound alone will disappoint you on performance.

Reactions: p40

·
Premium Member
10,536 Posts
An old 375hp 396 cam really woke those hydraulic flat tappet cammed engines up. Find a 375 horse/425 horse aftermarket copy and you'll like the results.
Just get a complete kit. Those old turds ran like scalded dogs with that old camshaft.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts