Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all....not so good news this time...Pretty much finished my 71SS 454, except for the interior...even took it to a couple shows and cruise-ins...anyhow, with less than 200 miles on it, I was getting lots of rocker arm clatter from right side...went to adjust rockers, and found that the #8 cyl. intake was wiped out...lifter has about 1/4" of metal missing from bottom, you can see right up inside it...and cam lobe is gone...its a Lunati...Im sure I did everything right, its not my first time...is a soft cam, or lifters, really that common? I thought it was rare, but Im hearing different...any comments, good or bad? I already ordered the new one, should be in by mid=week...Lunati wants the old one back, said I'll get at least 50.00 back...great, that only leaves me 125.00 out!!!! Thanks, John O

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
I didn't run into any problem with my cam, but I followed the manufacturer's instruction's to the letter plus I used a trick I picked up here. When I adjusted the rockers, I only tightened them down 1/4 turn after removing all the slack, using the "spin the pushrod while tightening the rocker nut" method. I only have single valve springs on my 350, but other folks have recommended leaving out the inner spring on big blocks during cam break-in. The goal is to reduce the amount of pressure on the lobes. Reinstall the inner springs later after the engine is broken in.

W

·
0 Posts
The money is the easy deal, what about all the metal that is now in the motor? The filter won't trap those nasty little devils and they will hide in the oil system and some day bite you on the butt. If the cam is defective, maybe you can get some extra money from them to cover the cost of fixing the motor the right way.

------------------
Wally
Gold #67
67 malibu

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Johnny,

I ran into the same problem with my first Edelbrock cam, #2 intake. I like you, have done several cams in the past with no problems. Edelbrock gave me full credit for the cam kit however. The way I did mine is, after cam is installed, but intake is not on yet. You can see cam lobes clearly. Turn engine until cam is on base of lobe (bottom, not lift). Looking at lifter, turn adjusting nut just till you see plunger move slightly. As soon as you see any movement, turn 1/4 turn, then tighten down lock. Valve adjustment will be perfect, and you won't have to take an oil bath. Also, I almost forgot, DON'T soak lifters in oil or pump them up. Install them dry, they will pump up within 1 minute of running.

Second cam worked like a dream in my BBC. I hope yours does the same. Just be sure to change the oil after break-in.

------------------
Joe Giniel
72 Chevelle SS
Team Chevelle #143
Aces #03056

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
I forgot one thing. The instructions that came with my cam said to prefill the float bowl of the carb so the engine would fire off quicker. Excessive cranking puts extra pressure on the lobes. The pressure is greatest at the lowest RPMs. Get the distributor timing as close as possible also. The goal is to get the engine fired and up to break-in RPM as quickly as possible. I also left out my thermostat so I wouldn't have to fight with coolant level when the t-stat opened. Install the thermostat later after the engine cools and the cam has been run in.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.