Team Chevelle banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
60 over 454 with L2377 flat top pistons. is there a moderately priced aluminum head with small enough chambers to make 9.5 to 1 compression? what cam?
going in a 63 vette with 3.70 gears and a 4 speed.

thanks,
adam

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
With the flat tops the 100 cc Edelbrock "Rovals" are probably going to be your best bet, but probably still won't get you 9.5 to 1.

For a cam, are you thinking flat tappet or roller, solid or hydraulic?

·
Premium Member
9,522 Posts
Vince just angle milled his AFR's to get the compression up. I think he still has a hyd. roller my set up has a solid roller.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i was planning on a hyd flat but would go solid flat if it was any benefit.
i just read someone elses post about the pro comp ovals with 115 chambers, any opinions.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Adam, with the flat tops any 115 to 120 cc chamber head (i.e. pretty much all aftermarket heads) will put you down around 8 to 1 compression.

For a cam, the highly recommended VooDoo 60203 or something similar would make you happy, that's with 9 - 9.5 to 1 compression.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i have a set of 049 heads and 279(vortec) heads. the 279 should be 100cc chambers. can i make decent power with the 279 heads and a good cam?

·
Registered
14,242 Posts
You really dont want those Vortec heads - just not good from a performance standpoint. Best bet is the 100cc Eddy's or get a set of the closed-chambers and do them up. Either way, with flat-tops your not going to get alot of compression. But, for what your looking to do, it may not be a big deal anyway.

You could stroke it, that's worth some more compression...

·
Premium Member
3,250 Posts
Best bet is the 100cc Eddy's or get a set of the closed-chambers and do them up.
Vince is correct. To get any compression out of your motor, these are your only options.

If it were me I'd look for a set of semi-closed chamber heads (casting # 215 or 063), install 2.19 / 1.88 valves, do some minor bowl porting, flat mill them down to around 100cc and use a steel shim head gasket. This will get you around 9.5-9.6 scr.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts