Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my 71 tilt column apart to repair the body the key/tumbler insert is located. I also repaired the turn signal switch. I went to put it all back together with a new lock and it will not seat. It seems the selector will not turn back to the lock position and has no chance of going to accesory mode. I also noticed the rod that pops up to lock the wheel also will not come up all the way.

Has something jumped a tooth? any ideas on what has happened or how to fix. I'm totally stumped on this.

TIA,

------------------
Jody Sirmans
71 SS454
ACES

·
Registered
13,100 Posts
First of all, you need to locate a shop manual or something which has a GOOD exploded view of the components. I have had 2-3 of these colunms TOTALLY disassembled. From my experience and based on your description of the problem, yes, there is a rod/link with teeth which MUST BE CORRECTLY positioned internally. I also had the same difficulty as you described and finally got the parts lined up right. It just takes a little patience and double checking.

------------------
Tom Parsons

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tom,

I've got every known Shop manual there is a for a 71 from GM to Haynes, and all those in between....

I think this is more of a "feel" question. I didn't take the sector down that far so I didn't think anything would slip. I haven't seen a picture of the correct tooth alignment to get me back on track.. pun intended.

Thanks,

------------------
Jody Sirmans
71 SS454
ACES

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OKay.. last night I took the sector gear out, moved the rack back and forth, aligned the sector gear large tooth with the large tooth in the rack. Put the lock rod and spring back on as well.

Looks just like the picture in the GM manual except:

the gear looks to be about a 1/8th turn off. When I put the lock in... In the full back position the key will not turn back to the lock position.

Jeff: I'll give the PARK thing a try tonight.
I'm not sure if it was in or out of park.

Jon: To get the lock out.. Insert the key and turn on. Use a small file or pick to depress the button on top of the lock assy (inside of the housing). Pull on the lock while depressing the button until it is clear. BTW the turn signal switch has to be remove to do this.

What spring? Tilt columns have a wire spring that attaches to the lock rod and puts some pressure on the sector gear. It is on the left side.

·
Registered
6,826 Posts
I recently installed a new lock cylinder into a 69 Chevelle non-tilt column and noticed after installing it that the key would not go to the "ACC" position as it had before. I just figured that the new cylinder was made differently.
Sounds like the same problem. What gives ?

Nate

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I hate to admit this but I feel like a complete dumbas*...

Thanks JEFF! Here's a 6 to YA. OOOOOO

I had the trans tube in reverse. Moved to park and everything is working AOK.

I musta took the sector gear our 5 times trying to figure out why it wasn't aligning. I had the lock in and move the tube to Park and vola. Key popped out, moves to ACC and everything looks GREAT..

I thought it must be a "FEEL" thing. Only trouble was I never moved the assemble while screwing with the sector.. so I had the same "PROBLEM" every time...

Turns out I just took it apart for practice...

SS396 - I thought all the locks from 68-72+ are the same. Mine is from year one. It may be a repro. just came in a year one bag. I thought that GM was still had them though.

Thanks Guys... I'll go back under my rock now!

Jody

·
Registered
13,100 Posts
Jody,
The 69-72s are the same, 68 still had the ignition in the dash and no way to lock the column.

------------------
Tom Parsons

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.