Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I am thinking about replacing the M20 in my '69 SS with an M22. I have to decide if I want to pay the big bucks for one, though. I like the M22 because it is a rare and desirable option. Even more so, the increased gear whine of an M22 has to be one sweet sound. Is the gear noise that much more noticeable than an M20 or M21? I would love to hear your experiences and opinions before I fork over the $$$.

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
13,035 Posts
I can say from experience, that the noise level will vary from one M22 to another, but I guarantee that if an M20 or M21 made that much noise, it would need a full set of bearings. I can tell if a car has an M22 with it just idling by.
Older people (older than me
) tell me that the owners of LS6 cars would bring in their car to the dealer because the tranny was making too much noise! The dealer would slip in an M21 and some lucky tech slipped out with a new M22.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I just had a 69 m22 rebuilt with new first and second gears,brass,bearings,all small parts.It actually is a coarse spline and someone had changed the rear shaft to the small one but I have a large shaft to replace it with someday.I haven't installed it yet but all the rockcrushers I have heard have a big difference in the sound than the 20 or 21.I love their sound.

------------------
John 67SS
ACES #2887

[This message has been edited by 67ss (edited 04-08-99).]

·
Registered
527 Posts
How Many M-22's are really out there? I'm sure there are I.D. #'s but I had a M-23 so it was called from a 73-74 vette. Th400 ouput shaft fine spline. the gears were not straight cut but straiter than the 20 and 21 and did not have the "whine" to it. Basically I'm stating that if you think your purchasing an M-22 because of spline and output shaft be sure you do your homework. I bought my M-23 for 450.00 at a swapmeet. Top dollar was about 1200.00

·
Registered
104 Posts
oh what a sweet sound, can remember when the new ss 454's hit the sterrt in 70 and the sound of the rock crusher coming down the street, i wish i had one for my vette buti'll stick with my super t-10 not as loud as a rock crusher buy it makes its point, if i were going to drop some money on a new tranny i'd go with the rock crusher.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Sitting on my veranda, I could hear the M22
equipped, (gold with white interior 1969 SS396 Chevelle), coming down my parents street, 3 blocks away! This guy drove this gorgeous looking Chevelle, s-l-o-w. I eventually met this guy (his english was'nt
too good) but enough for me to swindle a cruise in his Chevelle. As a passenger the whine was even sweeter inside, but it was more than that,it was the lumpy idle, this
car also had the 3 2BBL holley set up from a Corvette! and it was the 375hp version as well! All these sounds was just a rush! I think Chevrolet was the best at image engineering when it came to Muscle cars!

26 years later just the mention of a "rockcrusher" brings back this experience as it was the first time I rode in Chevelle (time would put me into many more "wicked" Chevelles) with that tranny.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.