Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What years were the "Canadian Chevelles" or Beaumonts made? Does anyone know where I can find some pictures on the web? Thanks Tony.

------------------
You can sleep in your car,but you cant drive your house.

·
Registered
32 Posts
i knowthey were made in 65, not sure about the other years...

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
I may not be completely accurate here but I think from 1964-69.

Can't help you with pictures but there are several members on here with Beaumonts and they will likely respond with pictures of their cars or websites.

------------------
ACES #4241, TC #947
69 SS Sedan

·
Registered
290 Posts
here is a 66 i have.

------------------
http:/hometown.aol.com/ddppell/myhomepage/profile.html

·
Registered
287 Posts
There are Acadian's, Beaumonts and other's. Some call these "Canadian" Chevelle's but we also built real Chevelle's in Oshawa, Ontario.

The Beaumont's had variation's on their powertrain's that the velles never got as well as other differences.

Here is info that would help. Thanks to CCCB
Canadian Models

Beaumont Number's & info.

Hope it helps

------------------
Steve Soltesz
Team Chevelle Gold Member #37

64 Malibu SS (ZZ4/TH350, Show'n Go)FOR SALE
68 Beaumont (396/TH350 Street/Strip)
69 Beaumont (307/TH350)
80 Camaro (Mrs.64's 355/TH350 Show'n Go)
My WebSite (To be Updated Soon)

Favourite Quote: "Let out the Clutch Buddy, the Fan won't pull it!"

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
The Beaumonts were produced from 1964 through the 1969 models, although the '69 run was ended around Dec. 1968. After that the Tempest / Lemans / GTO was what we Canadians got, some from the U.S. and some built in Oshawa with orange Chevrolet 350s. (GTOs were built in Oshawa in 1970 only, and although there were a few Judges built, there was exactly 1 Judge with an L75 455 built.)
Beuamonts in 1969 retailed model for model with the Chevelle at $37 more than the Chevelle (source: Track & Traffic Canada)

The Acadian is the Chevy II/Nova variant. It was offered from 1962 through a shortend 1971 (mid-year cancellation, replaced with the Ventura II mid year).

As an aside, with these mid-year cancellations, I wonder if there was some sort of phase-in for parts of the old Auto Pact of 1965? Mercury trucks ended in December 1968 with a short run of 1969 models.

·
Premium Member
7,460 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Somebody please correct me if wrong. I thought Acadian was a GM make not available in th US, like Holden in Australia. I think Acadian made both a chevy2-like car and a chevelle-like car. So saying "Acadian Beaumont" would be like saying "Chevrolet Chevelle".

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
Mike:

Where is that 68 Beaumont from? I'm sure it's from my local area, been at a few shows where it has appeared. If not, it is a "mirror" of the one around here. Is it the one that had an article in Super Chevy?

------------------
ACES #4241, TC #947
69 SS Sedan

·
Premium Member
7,460 Posts
I thought that would get your get your attention DON.

I figured if you could steal one of our GEMS and bring it up north,, I could steal one of yours and bring it down here.....
It's in my garage Don.... here in Phoenixville, PA right next to my little blue 66!

Had ya goin for a minute.....

I met the owner of this car twice now and we spoke at length, the car is stunning! I first photographed it twoo yrs. ago at the HERSHEY AAACA show (HERSHEY, PA) and then again this past fall he had it at the LAKE GEORGE Show in NY..... I forget the fella's name, spoke kinda funny
but a real nice guy from Canada eh.

Mike

------------------
MY 66 SS.COM
ACES # 1493
TEAM # 751
Chevelle-abration Plus Video now available!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Carl, I'm confused with the whole Acadian/Beaumont thing, but what you say definately makes sense. This summer there was a 65 Beaumont for raffle here, and it said Beaumont Acadian on it. I was wondering why it said this, cause I alway thought the Acadian was to the Nova what the Beaumont was to the Chevelle.

Rob

------------------
Now: 67 Malibu 4-door
283/PG
In 5 years: 69 COPO/427

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I remember seeing the Canadian version of the Chevelle at a car show in Chicago. It had a 427, but instead of saying "TURBO JET" on the air cleaner sticker it said something similar (can't remember) and the background on the sticker was blue instead of the red that we are used to seeing. I believe it was a '68 or '69 model.

·
Premium Member
7,908 Posts
For a couple of years before the Chevelle chassis came out the Beaumont was based on the Chevy II/Acadian chasis. 1969 was the last year for the Beaumont. The Oshawa "A" body plant switched over to the Celebrity in '82. The Beaumonts never came with L78 or 427 engines from the factory. The Oshawa built Chevelles and Beaumonts got body coloured firewalls and various other small differences from their American brothers.

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
OK, here's the scoop from a buddy of mine who has an absolutely gorgeous 67 Beaumont SD-396 convertible.

In 1967 the 283 CI was called an ECONO-FLAME, the 327 CI was called a SUPER ECONO-FLAME and the 396 CI was called an ECONO-JET. Don't know if these names changed in later years.

I asked him to email a picture to me which I should have hopefully by tomorrow. i will post same, it is indeed a "cherry".

------------------
ACES #4241, TC #947
69 SS Sedan

·
Registered
162 Posts
OK, here is some more info. Check out this car, which is said to be a "64 Acadian Sedan". It is clearly a 64/65 Chevelle 4-door body, but with some funky rear lights. Also check out the French ads on Rich-L79's site. Click on magazine ads, scroll down to French language ads. One of the ads clearly says "Acadian Beaumont". These cars are related to the 65 Chevelle SS. They have a different style of funky rear lights...

Anyhow I'm still confused, I'm not sure how Acadian fits in, I think Acadian must cover more than just the Chevy2-derived cars. Maybe it has something to do with European GM, as both of the links above are to European cars (edit: unless the French ad was from Quebec).

[This message has been edited by Carl Brune (edited 02-23-2001).]

·
Super Moderator
16,020 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks everyone. I always thought they were neat looking cars. You can definitely see the Pontiac styling influence. So 69 was the last year? That explains why I've never seen a 70-72.

------------------
You can sleep in your car,but you cant drive your house.
Tony Hoffer 406 powered Mohave Gold 72'Malibu

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
Carl:

Here again I may not be totally accurate on this, but I believe for 64/65 it was called Acadian/Beaumont and in 66 they each became their own series - Beaumont on the Chevelle chassis and Acadian on the Nova chassis.

I stand to be corrected.

------------------
ACES #4241, TC #947
69 SS Sedan

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
You know what's ironic? After '67 the Acadian (Nova) was built in the U.S. (Lordstown or Willow Run?)for Canada only.
As Keith noted we got body-coloured firewall & trunk & underbody. What I learned from this site is that a '9' on the cowl plate denotes enamel paint. Mine has it, now doubt for durability in road salt

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Thats it- "ECONO JET". That is what was on the Canadian Pontiac or Chevelle version that was at a show in Chicago. It did have a factory installed 427 as all the documentation on the car said and was restored to number one condition. I'm not going to argue its authenticity because I know very little about these cars. You will have to take that up with the owner if its shown again. Either way, a beautiful car. "ECONO JET" wow what a label!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.