Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,
I just bought a 68 396 SS (4-Spd).I got an awesome deal on it. The only thing is that the registration is ungodly old (87 I beleive) and the person I bought the car never registered it. The guy he bought the car from lost the title. I have the bill of sale on both sales. What can I expect when I go to register this next week?

·
Premium Member
17,557 Posts
What can you expect? A big chunk of cash missing...

Welcome to Team Chevelle...

Actually I am not too sure, its been a while, but I think with both "bill of sales" you should be okay, maybe have to go back to the seller (your deal) and get his signature on the bill of sale, and a statement about never registering the car, notorized, just to be safe. I would think the $20 or so would be worth the piece of mind. Also try to get him to sign something stating that the car has been stored off the street (needs an address), and never been on a public road while the reg was expired. That might save you some money. California will make you pay the past registration charges and penalties otherwise (for at least the last three years, maybe more...).

You might get lucky in that the car is probably out of the computer system, so maybe no big penalty.

By the way, tell us about the car...

I was looking for a 68 SS (my brothers car in 1978-1980 or so) that was registered near Clear Lake, but I haven't checked into it because I don't have the room for another project. It was a 4-speed car, and was blue (maybe originally green?). It was still registered to the guy that bought it from my brother...

------------------
"Once you go RAT, you never go back..."
TC #1366
Tony
1966 SS L78 coupe
1966 SS convertible
1965 Impala convertible
1 wife that has drawn the line...

[This message has been edited by 1966_L78 (edited 11-02-2001).]

·
Registered
51 Posts
I had a dune buggy i needed to register and they told me it hadnt been registered in 10 years, and after 7 they consider the car abandoned or wrecked so they delete it from their computer. They should do some stupid paperwork and then you pay a few fines, nothin over $200.

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
I think that you need to have a police officer verify the vin and fill out some paperwork. I believe they are dropped from the computers after 7 years so there should be no or little back registration. However, get the car in your name before you spend any money on the car.

Steve R.

·
Registered
62 Posts
They drop them from the computer after 4 years. You will need to have it Vin Verified and need to tell them that you have owned it for years but lost the paperwork and want new Title and reg..They will base fees on value of the car so tell them a low amount. And hope the car was never stolen or they will come and get it.

[This message has been edited by clill (edited 11-02-2001).]

·
Registered
423 Posts
I think that Clill has it pretty correct.

What I'd add would be the recommendation that you get something in writing from the original owner saying that the car has been parked "off the street" (!!) for at least 4 years.

Then go by the DMV and request to talk to the manager. Be polite, but just tell them that you are only interested in talking to the manager!

There is a certain amount of waiving of fees that can be done at the managers discression!!

------------------
Wes. Vann
Technical Reference section
Gold Member #5

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
I think that what clill suggests might be perjury, which might not be a very sensible thing to engage in. A misdemeanor at least, and maybe a felony. You have already declared to the internet universe as of the date of your post that you "just bought" the car.

Why don't you just make an appointment at the DMV by phone and talk to the man and find out what's required. I suspect that you will suffer a substantial hassle, and spend some more money, but hopefully not be out the price of your new car.

Most people sleep better at night with a clear conscience.

My $0.02

[This message has been edited by JJ'65 (edited 11-03-2001).]

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
JJ
I'm not sure I see the illegalities in this transfer. It is up to the seller to provide a clear and transferable title for the vehicle. On newer cars that includes a smog certificate. If upon agreement between the buyer and seller, the buyer absorbs some or all of those costs, there is nothing wrong with that. The risk to the buyer is that this vehicle can not be registered and he is out the sale price. If the vehicle is stolen he's out a little more.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.