Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 12 bolt posi rearend for my 72 Chevelle. My problem is, that one of my axles are kind of wore down at the end and I was wondering if the c-clip elimator's would cure my problem. Any ideas or recommendations on these? Do those eliminators change your wheel spacking at all? Or should I just buy a new axle. You can buy some c-clip eliminators from Strange for $140. A new axle will cost me that much and I just figured the c-clip would be a better idea. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Don't forget the C-Clip eliminator still needs to be installed. The end of the tubes have to be cut and the eliminator welded in. I don't know what that might cost but I'd bet over $100.

------------------
Pat Kelley
66 El Camino, daily driver
67 El Camino, STRIP/street

·
Registered
12 Posts
Some c-clip eliminators are bolt in but I think they do change the wheel spacing. I'd go with a replacement axle unless you are doing heavy duty driving.

·
Registered
341 Posts
C-clip eliminators make it necessary to cut the ends on the housing which spoils the chance to reverse that operation. You can buy a new pair of 12 bolt axles for $225 from Moser. Then wait about 30 years for those to wear out!

------------------
Team Chevelle Gold #33
ACES Member #02913
Chevelle Club of Michigan
Livonia, Michigan / USA
Rode shotgun in the ONLY Z16 convertible made.

·
Registered
32 Posts
KaiserLT1 ..I also have a 12 bolt possi rear in my El Camino, that has the billit C-Clip eliminators. How I really wish that the housing was stock,,( not cut at the ends) wich Im almost certain You would have to do to Your rear housing,(axel tube ends) The advantage of the C-clip Eliminators isthat it makes it supposedly impossible for You to have an axel walk out of the housing.Wich is great if You are gonna be drag racing at the stip alot. The disadvantages ARE I was told ,that they arnt really practicall for cornering,and that they end up leaking,, Mine do.. So unless You are gonna be running Your car at the strip alot,, I see no advantage of using the C-clip eliminators at all,,especially on a everyday driven car.. I say go with new axels, (bearings, seals) and enjoy. just My oppinion OK Tintop55

·
Registered
13 Posts
I don't understand what they would have to do with cornering? The sealed bearing that is used is a lot heavier than the stock ones. As far as the leaking goes, you just need to put a little silicone between the plates. That's what a Moser rep recommended to us and it sealed mine right up. Another nice part is you can pull the axles any time you like without having to take off the rear diff cover. Needless to say I really love mine, that c-clip axle deal always seemed pretty cheezy.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Diddo on Doug's post...as long as you use some silicone to seal them there should be no leaks at all. I have been using my Strange c-clip elim's for over 2 years and they have never leaked. It is best to leave the installation to a qualified machine shop. My bearings had to be pressed onto the axle.

------------------
1970 Malibu - 383 'Fog Fed' Stroker! Houston, Texas...Gold Member #39
Now looking for a 70' ragtop to... "Drop a Gear and Disappear!"

·
Registered
32 Posts
Doug,,,Wes, I stand corrected and am proud of it!!!! Ha Ha,, anyway thanks for the silicone sealing tip,,,, Im definately gonna try that. Its really nice to get more information from all of You guys!!;) Tintop55

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
C-clip eliminator is the way to go ! You could "walk" an axel any time you feel the need to "test" the engine (or just show off).
I'd rather deal with a little annoying leak (if I couldn't seal it) than replace a quarter panel or worse yet,lose control, get hurt,or lose one of our "labors of love".

·
Registered
738 Posts
Hey Tintop, when you pull your axles to seal up the tubes, be sure to use brake cleaner on all of the surfaces before applying the silicone. I use the 'Orange High-Temp' RTV silicone...it likes a clean surface and really works well. See, those c-clips aren't all that bad are they?

I cannot begin to imagine how my car would drive if my axle took a flying leap at 115mph (at the track of course
)...talk about a VERY bad day.

------------------
1970 Malibu - 383 'Fog Fed' Stroker! Houston, Texas...Gold Member #39
Now looking for a 70' ragtop to... "Drop a Gear and Disappear!"

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey, thanks guys for all the help.

One more question. The C-clip eliminators from Strange say that they are bolt-on. So will they still affect the wheel spacing?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.