Team Chevelle banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do the drum brakes mount when using c-clip eliminators? Do the brakes go in between the axle flange and the eliminator? Won't this cause leaks?

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
At the moment I can't recall exactly how they mount, however mine have not leaked or had any other issues. I have axles and c-clip eliminators from Strange Engineering.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok...I was just wondering if the drum mounts in between the axle falnge and the c-clip eliminator. If so, do I need to add sealant to both sides of the brake plate. Meaning, between the axle flange and the brake plate, and also between the eliminator and the brake plate.

·
Premium Member
7,278 Posts
I'm having a hard time following what you describe, but...

I have a 12-bolt with no c-clips. Ford housing ends were welded to my housing, and i have axles with pressed on bearing and o-rings. You don't use sealer anywhere...just put the backing plates on, slide the axles in, bolt the retainers on, slide drums on, and you're done. I think I have that order right.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea, thats the standard assembly. However, when you are using the c-clip eliminators, the eliminators need to mount to the axle flange. However, I just need verification that the drum brake assembly mounts between the eliminator and the axle flange. If this is the case, do I need to add sealant to both sides the brake assembly to avoid leaks because I know the eliminators are prone to causing leaks unless a good seal is made. At least that is what I have been reading on the forums...

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
I just crawled under mine to refresh my memory...the backing plate mounts directly to the axle flange and the eliminator all mounts in side the brake assembly, just as you described.

However, I bought axles and c-clip eliminators from Strange Engineering and it all came assembled (the bearings and c-clip eliminator assembly came mounted on the axles). So I cannot speak for a stand-alone c-clip eliminator set-up, and any leakage issues.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well thank you for your effort! I didn't mean for you to crawl under your car, but I appreciate it! Do you happen to remember if you added any sealant at all to either side of the brake assembly?

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
No sealant on the brake original parts, there might have been some between the pieces if the eliminator, but I dont think so.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts