Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a weird buzzing sound that happens when my engine is running- it does seem to change pitch with engine rpm.

For a long time, I thought it was my radio getting interfearance fromt he engine- but i had the radio unhooked the other day and the sound was still there! Goofing around, i seem to have tracked the sound down to the passenger side kickpanel/underdash area.

What else could make that kind of sound?

Thanks for any help!

------------------
Ben Rambow
1970 El Camino SS
My old 1969 El Camino
The El Camino Classics Club
"Whats the matter with the car I'm Driving? Can't ya tell that its out of style..."

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
It's your PCV valve. Take it out of the valve cover and block it with your finger with the engine running. It will stop buzzing. I've noticed that, lately, the replacement valves do this. I have one now that "buzzes".

------------------
MalibuJerry350
TC Member #1279
Original owner '70 Chevelle.
593,000 miles on car.
Hey, if it's got wheels, DRIVE IT!
My Chevelle: http://hometown.aol.com/erie614/myhomepage/index.html

·
Premium Member
7,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is definitely an electrical sound, not mechanical(or a vibration sound)(PCV valve made me think for a second, but its on the drivers side on my car)- Sound still happens even when fan motor is running- so thats not it either.

The sound is Identical to engine noise through a stereo or an Amplifier- except its not.... Guess i'll have to dig into it when i'm on vacation in a couple weeks.

I'll let you guys know what i find.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Try the old trick of using a piece of garden hose. Cut off about a 4 foot piece. Put one end in your ear and search around with the other end for the noise. Noise increases down the tube as you get closer.

·
Premium Member
7,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by coop:
Do you have an ignition box or coil mounted on the pass. side firewall. ?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

YES I DO! I have an Accell SuperCoil & a Malory Advance Curve Computer mounted right above the heater box in the engine bay.

I thought of this as well, but didn't know if the sound could make it through the vent plenum & into the car. From the engine compartment I can't hear it at all (although the engine is so loud, it may be there too)

Any ideas to quiet those bad boys down?

------------------
Ben Rambow
1970 El Camino SS
My old 1969 El Camino
The El Camino Classics Club
"Whats the matter with the car I'm Driving? Can't ya tell that its out of style..."

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I think all of those old analog ignition boxes are noisy. I used to have my MSD 6A box mounted on the inside of the car, and boy was it annoying. I now have a Holley digital box and you hear nothing. MSD and others also make digital boxes now that do not make any kind of noise.

Andrew

------------------
Project GatTagO

·
Premium Member
1,041 Posts
We see this is an old post on the TC Site, however, there may be updates to your concerns, and maybe new ideas on this subject. Our question is-

Anyone have a preference for where to mount one of these? We've noticed some on this site prefer the engine bay, while others mount them under the dash on the inside firewall area (Some were right above the carpet area).

Our's is an Accel 300+ Digital CD Multi-Strike System with Rev Control, and it doesn't show a preference to which area.

If there's a link to a post on this subject, please let us know.

Any and all info greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,041 Posts
Talked to ACCEL/Mr. Gasket tech yesterday. He said not to mount it inside the car, as it could be annoying.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts