Team Chevelle banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some help.
I'm from Canada, and bought a 66 Nova from Alabama.
It's a non title state for older than 1975.
I'm being told that I need title in order to cross the border.
Any thoughts on a solution?
Does Alabama not issue title at all for this old, or is it just not required? Can the seller get one if he pays the fee?
Thanks

FYI The car was sold as "clear" title on eBay, so I had no idea that this would be a problem.

·
Premium Member
14,311 Posts
IIRC, Alabama has been a non title state for a long time, perhaps BBMike can chime in on this.

·
Premium Member
5,321 Posts
I think if you have his registration from Alabama and a bill of sale you will be ok. A few years ago I looked at a car from a state that did not issue titles on older car and the DMV here in Kansas said all I would need is his registration and a bill of sale.

·
Premium Member
6,590 Posts
The problem gets worse when you buy a car from a no title state, and the seller never got it registered. If they are flipping it, or it's a dealer, be prepared to to be put thru the ringer. I went through a huge hassle buying a car from Conn, which is a no title state also. If it wasn't registered, you may have to give up one of your kids to get a title in your state. I will never again buy a car with no title.

·
Premium Member
3,273 Posts
Kent, you will have to have someone register the car in alabama so you will have a current registration which will be needed to transport to canada. Its a real simple proceedure. There are no titles for cars before 1975, only bill of sale and state registeration.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone. Much much appreciated.
It does have current registration in Alabama, so I should be ok.
Someone else also suggested that the seller have the bill of sale notarized.
I'll get my customs broker to verify with the gov before the car is picked.

Great site!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update
This is just goofy, but the shipper had to divert the car to a different border crossing. The one in Montana wouldn't accept that there are no titles issued for 74 and older cars (even though it's on the Alabama dmv website). They wanted a notarized letter from the state! So, the car's being routed east to a border where the manager is not a tool.
This is just bureaucratic stupidity, but about what I expected.

·
Premium Member
27,555 Posts
Evidently the "manager" isn't a car guy. :(
There's a few states that didn't start issuing titles until the '70s. New York is one...not until the '73 model year. And Georgia doesn't require one for ownership transfer if the vehicle is more than 20 years old.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts