Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I make moeny redoing a 68chevelle ss
The car is a true ss with a 454 and 4 sp. rockcrusher trans The body is in good shape needs paint little, body work, carpet, and new buckets The engine needs little work plus exhuast Whats it going to cost and is it worth it.

·
Registered
336 Posts
In my opinion if its a true SS with a big block (original or not) and an M22, buckets, etc., then as-is (as you described it) you should be able to get more than $3000. Id say spending another 2-3 thousand on paint/body, interior, and exhaust and you should be able to get back what you put into it and then some. It also depends slightly on other stuff like, rear end (posi? 12 bolt?) and working AC, etc...

mike

·
Registered
246 Posts
Unless you have a bunch of new parts sitting around for this car and you're going to do all the work - especially body work - you are not going to make any money on it. If you do the interior, body, suspension, and paint properly it's going to cost you more like $12000. I wish I could say that it'll be less but having just done it - it won't be.

·
Administrator
3,371 Posts
Making money on these cars is very tough. The best solution for this one is to CLEAN IT UP, tidy things and freshen up what you can without spending a ton of bucks. The theory here is that if you make it a more attractive project to the next buyer you will make some money on it - probably clear as much as if you poured a ton of money into it. My brother does this with 'whatever he finds' and does ok. Cleans 'em, shines 'em, fixes what really needs it and moves it along.

D

·
0 Posts
I was always told "If you can make money fixing up cars (insert about any hobby) as a hobby, then you're doing something wrong!" Even though I've had a few deals that I made some money, for the most part the above is true.

·
Premium Member
1,449 Posts
I have to disagree with the opinion that you can't make money buying & selling old cars. The key is what you buy and how much you pay for it. I've bought and sold no less than six collector cars in the last year, and have cleared as much as $2800 on a car that sold for $10,800. If you buy a quality car at a good price to begin with, and do quality work to it without going overboard, there's always room for profit.

------------------
Rainer
'68 SS396
'70 LS3 400 Malibu
& the newest - '70 Malibu convertible!
[email protected]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.