Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A guy I work with has been telling me of a '69 Malibu a friend of his wants to unload. It was previously used for racing and this guy bought it to fix up but has lost interest. I've tried to go see this thing but I have been sick and now HE'S sick. Is "Devine Intervention" coming into play here or what? Asking price is $800 (suppose to be firm). Here are the details as decribed to me:

Rear frame rails are cracked (I'm told hairline) where ladder bars were mounted.

Frame may be twisted because the driver's door opens INTO the LF fender and both need to be replaced.

Original A/C car, but most of it is gone.

Body is "solid" (not MY description) and all there but is not pretty! Brown in color.

Hood has a big hole for hood scoop.

Interior is FULL of parts. (Guy doesn't know what kind).

No engine or trans. But does come with a 454 and 400 turbo from a Suburban (ran when removed as witnessed by my co-worker) and has been sitting for about a year.

And there's a 12 bolt rear under it (he doesn't know if it's posi).

He can't seem to answer my questions without "I don't know" or looking me in the eye.

I don't plan to make a show car out of this thing and may just part it out, but HE could do that!

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Rick

·
Registered
166 Posts
Unless you want a serious project, skip it. A car with a bad frame will always be more trouble than it's worth, I know from experience. Regardless, you should check the car out just in case it's something special. Ya never know....

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
Rick, I agree go take a look at it just to satisfy yourself,but $800 is too much

------------------
Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Get a good look at it before you do anything. Sounds like it has had alot of surgery. Maybe he should pay you $800 to take it. Seriously, there may be a potential for some nice parts. Look first.

·
Gold Founding Member
1,348 Posts
Always look I got burned on a Blazer not to long ago I figurd for the year and the price it was a rust bucket a friend bought I saw him driving it it was choice . It dont cost nothing to look. I could be a good deal a running 454 if the body was nt all rusted would it be worth putting a frame under it ? is the frame really cracked. Good Luck Mike

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey Rick,

I agree with Leo and the others it's probably not worth much but to part out. If you can get him down to 400 or 500 bucks you could make a little on it.It sounds pretty stripped, but the rear should be worth at least 300 or 400 dollars. Also I hope you and all of the MCC members have a great show up in northeast. Unfortunately I will be out of town then. Maybe I'll see you at 75-80 this coming Sunday.

Dave MCC#15

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think any car is worth a look. You may or may not
like what you see, but from my experiences I have
always wondered what that one I didn't go check out looked like.
If you think its worth a price less than he's asking,
offer it......you don't know how you look til you get
your picture took........

------------------
Gary Davis
68 Malibu 327
ACES 3009

·
Registered
60 Posts
as a driver I would reccommend that you skip this one.
But, if this thing is loaded with parts, you may come out ahead in the end. Don't give the guy over $600 for it.

Think about it. A running 454 & TH400 combo can fetch $500
Body panels, $100 each
Interior stuff $100-300.

You just made a 5-600 dollar profit. Then sell the shell for another $100.

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
RatMotor69, Go and see the car. You have a lot of knowledge when it comes to 69 Chevelles. These cars are getting more difficult to find. He does not say the price is firm. I know you will find potential if the price is right. Thank you for the "Chamber Exhaust" article on the Maryland Chevelle Club News lettter.
Luis!!70SS
MCC321

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
Its the same story as with the tri-fives. The definition of what is and what is not restorable gets a little looser with each year that passes. Look it over and see what it would take to restore it.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Boy, everyone one of you make very compelling arguments. I hope I can cruise over there this weekend and check it out. I'll let you know it it's worth it!

Rick

·
Registered
124 Posts
ill take a couple of those 454 and turbo 400's and they dont even have to run. troy

·
Registered
60 Posts
Here in the northeast, hard winters make trucks with power a necessity.

There are many older trucks with 454's around the northeast and it's not difficult to get that motor/trans combo for $500.

·
Registered
96 Posts
As far as the frame cracks from the ladder bar mount usually right front it is not that uncommon. I've had my chevelle for over twenty years and cracked the frame at that spot had it repaired over ten years ago removed the laddeer bars still race it,street it and twist it to hell no recurring frame problems. Good Luck

·
Registered
42 Posts
I think that you could find something else that you would be alot happier with and will need alot less work! Good luck with your decision!

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Sounds like a lot of good parts to add to another car. The twelve bolt alone if it posi
is worth 400.oo and the 454 ,400 turbo is worth 600.oo without hearing it run. Buy it and have some fun tearing it apart and put those good parts to good use. And by the way
I think it is a rarity for a frame to crack unless your in the salt belt like we are.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.