Team Chevelle banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"I KNOW", 25 years in the business and I always hated when people ask my advise after they already bought the car, But here I am anyways. I put a deposit on the following car and pick it up this week:

Vin # 138177K141476

12C 8154

ST 67-13817 KAN 6525 BODY

TR 761 - A N-N PAINT

W2LSR

After asking earlier dumb question as a newbee to the sight, proply read RICH-L79 posting of sites to catch up on most the info and came up with the following:

Car built 3rd week in DEC ( I guess in 1966 right?) 67, SS396 with strut rear window and black leather bench seat. Color was Maroon with factory tinted windows 4 speed trans, rear speakers and rear antenna, ( how did I do Rich?) but here is my question??????????

The rear quarters ar stamped 138 17 51 which does not match any of the last numbers in the vin. Are they not right for the Vin on the car or does the 51 mean something else.

Rich don't yell at me I probly missed it in all the reading you already gave me LOL

Also, I cant fint this hiden vin you guys talk about under the heater box, am I looking for 138 or the serial # of the car. I did find a 14 stamped there but nothing else. The box and blower are off and the bodys been media blasted, do I need to scrape off the seam sealer or what???

Im just glad to finally find something to work on :yes: :hurray: :beers: :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
19,751 Posts
Engine side or inside the car ? and will it be 138 or last 6 of the vin #
Also what about the truck numbers being different ?
The numbers around the trunk weather strip have nothing to do with the VIN. (not even the 138 part of the number).

Here is a picture of a 67 heater area from Atlanta, maybe KC didn't do this or it's under the sealant as Keith suggested.

Partial VINs, whether stamped on the firewall, engine, and/or frame never include the style or model (e.g., 136xx, 138xx), only the division, year, plant, and sequence number.

Congrats on the new car, BTW!

·
Premium Member
19,751 Posts
There are so many numbers stamped and written on minor assemblies, it'd be a dauting task to catalog them all or even try to figure out what their significance/meaning is.

Fisher Body plants didn't even code the body plates the same way at any two plants. Aside from the location and format of the body assembly date and style number, each of the 6 U.S. plants put different information on their plate. Baltimore didn't put a dash (-) between ST and the style number, everyone else did. Some put a dash between the lower and upper paint codes, some didn't, Fremont and Atlanta hand stamped numbers on the body plate while the others didn't. The list goes on. :)

Could be a sub-assembly inspection stamp, could be....anything :D

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
The rear quarters ar stamped 138 17 51 which does not match any of the last numbers in the vin. Are they not right for the Vin on the car or does the 51 mean something else.
These are just the stamping plants markings. Nothing to do with the VIN. 138 signifies the model mold id and the 17 51 some kind of date coding or other sheet metal stamping die ident. Sheet metal was stamped out at different locations than where the car was made.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts