Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

burnouts: stupid or fun

• stupid

Votes: 29 11.2%
  • fun

Votes: 66 25.4%
  • stupid fun

Votes: 165 63.5%
1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
18,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in response to this thread, are burnouts stupid, fun, or stupid fun?

·
Premium Member
4,585 Posts
Stupid unless it's a drag car on a drag strip. My chevelle has about a pound of rubber stuck to the lower quarters behind the wheel from back when I used to take it to the track...now I am repainting and it's a pain to get off

·
Registered
14,816 Posts
I voted stupid fun. Yeah when I was younger Id get stupid every chance I got. Now a bit older and maybe a tad bit wiser. I perfer to take it to the track. HOWEVER, I have been known to take the car down the road where theres only a golf course fairway on one side of the road and open desert on the other and bark the tires once in awhile. I figure if I do something stupid, worse case, the car ends up in the dirt, and theres nobody around to get hurt, except maybe a rabbits and lizards. jim

·
Registered
8,823 Posts
hey, my brand new tires only lasted for 400-miles, but they wore out evenly :)

·
Premium Member
17,551 Posts
I voted stupid fun. Yeah when I was younger Id get stupid every chance I got. Now a bit older and maybe a tad bit wiser. I perfer to take it to the track. HOWEVER, I have been known to take the car down the road where theres only a golf course fairway on one side of the road and open desert on the other and bark the tires once in awhile.
I agree...

I voted Stupid Fun... As I get older, i generally don't do "burnouts", as i get worried of tickets, offending the neighbors, maybe breaking something and depending on the area, I also tend to think what stuff I wouldn't want to see people do around homes/kids ( residential neighborhoods, etc)...

but then again, WHY would anyone own a BB street car (or a hopped-up SB) and not "use" the power (if not the racetrack, then where?)?. Not saying it has to be a burnout... I try not to speed, but I often accelarate quickly from a stop, and/or "chirp' second gear (automatic trans)...

Burnouts were a BIG part of my youth (I'm 42 years young), and doing a burnout really does make me feel young again... I can act "old" and responsible when i need to, but otherwise, I still feel liek I am 18... All you old fuddy-duddies try it sometime...

The most fun, exhilarating experience I had in recent memory was entering and winning the "burnout contest" at the inaugural West Coast Chevelle Gathering...

The contest was held on the starting line of a closed drag strip, so it was safe for spectators... the only real risk was to my car and my tires...

I had extra, "used" tires and wheels I mounted up, and I set my shift light for 4000 rpm or so, to avoid over reving the motor... 1st -2nd-3rd and held it there at about 4000 RPM in "Drive", slightly releasing the brakes so the car would slowely roll out of the smoke... It was honestly like being a kid again, without a care in the world and friends cheering you on... I am already looking forward to next year :thumbsup:

I won a nice trophy, and my kids (4 and 6) now call me their "burnout champion" (although I still don't think they know what it really means)...

here's a video from the event, with my burnout at the opening...

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
i agree with wally. parts and tires cost to much, for other peoples enjoyment. and you know they can't wait for something to give, and blow up.

·
Registered
8,398 Posts
C'mon guys, Does anyone drive their cars without being scared of hurting something. Burnouts are fun, Not that I do them all the time but loosen up a little and have some fun. Feel like I'm 16 again when smoking the tires although I never had a car that would do this then. :D Here's one before I painted my car. 140' of Posi. :) Just be safe and do them without people lined up on either side of you, Now that's stupid.

LK

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
burnouts are AWESOME! :thumbsup: lol I voted for fun

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
i love burnouts, not burn ups-nothing neater than laying down a couple long black stripes
just to sit still and burn them down, never thought much of that, unless after a few beers, take an old 4 door beater and do it-but not to a nice car

·
Registered
836 Posts
Absolutely fun, but I will say as a few others did, as long as its done in an environment that doesn't hurt anything or anybody. I do mine in the boonies like Alwhite00 does. I saw the cornfield and had to laugh. :beers:

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
i love burnouts, not burn ups-nothing neater than laying down a couple long black stripes
just to sit still and burn them down, never thought much of that, unless after a few beers, take an old 4 door beater and do it-but not to a nice car
BINGO! Never understood the kick folks got from abusing their equipment - but, it's your car! This is pretty high on my list of "Things I don't get!" Right up there with the flashing neon lights on tunerz.
John

·
Banned
14,112 Posts
I think they are fun. The older I get the more I want to do them! Nothing too crazy for me,though and I only do them on my street.The neighbors just shake their heads,after 20 years of me being there they wouldn't expect anything less.;)

1 - 20 of 113 Posts