Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How about it. Should I buy NOS or have mine rechromed? What's the best quality? Want something that "looks good - last a long time"
TIA
MikEC

------------------

·
Registered
368 Posts
I have a new (not NOS) GM rear bumper and a Bumperboyz rechrome front (69 Elky). Front looks good so far, quality of chrome on rear is poor, sharp corners are dull like bare steel.
Several suppliers are now showing reproduction bumpers allegidly made from original GM tools.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I bought new bumpers for my 72 El Camino a few years ago and regretted not having the originals rechromed. The quality was not there! Since then only replated bumpers for me!

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
I purchased bunper's from Bumper boyz's, they stink! Luckily i kept my old bumper's, I'm going to to have them rechromed by a reputable shop. Good luck, Nick

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,662 Posts
Narti, Have you seen the previous posts about supplier bashing? It's also in the agreement to register with this site. We came dangerously close to Al pulling the plug on Chevelle Tech because of this. Please, please make these kinds of posts by E-mail. The rest of we 1300+ members love this site and don't want to lose it. von

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just a tip. Stamp your initials in the backside of the bumpers! That way you can be sure you are getting YOUR bumpers back. I learned the hard way with a perfect '68 El Camino bumper.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I had my 67 bumpers done for $179 each by a good shop. The bumpers look awsome. It is triple plate. Time will tell, but I don't think you have to spend $350 for a good chrome job. Go to a local show and ask people who did the chrome. I asked my paint and body guy. He gave me Pete's custom Chrome in Phoenix.

My experience with reproduction trim is that it never fits right. I bet bumpers are the same.

Von, what's this about bashing suppliers? What's the problem? They don't own the site. Is Al worried about law suites?

------------------
Jameel Qazi
#'s 67 SS

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Jameel,

This is from the agreement we all read when joining the board:

Please note that we do not engage in 'supplier bashing'. This is not the place to air complaints about specific suppliers and these postings are terminated as this is just a no win situation for all involved.

Kurt

------------------
The 68 Chevelle info page. [last updated Nov. 30, 98]
www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Garage/6873/Chevelle/68_Chevelle_Info.html
Email: [email protected]

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,050 Posts
Jameel,

Recently Al posted stats on the site, we're averaging over 100,000 hits a day, 25,000 page requests. I had no idea this site was that big. With this kind of traffic, a supplier business could be damaged by one-sided horror-story telling. Of course, where there's damages, real or perceived, there's likely to be lawyers show up. Everybody loses. (except the lawyers, of course.) Also, it's not fair to the suppliers who don't get to fight back, since they probably don't even know they're being trashed in public. Al, who does own the site, has set a zero-tolerance policy on this. Hey, it's his wallet.

I'm a moderator over on Engine and Drivetrain and I probably would have blown away that post, just to be on the safe side. I like this site and don't want to see it go away.

Fun, fun, fun. Tom

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,662 Posts
Jameel, You see the support from Ground Up Restorations? That almost was stillborn due to what we're talking about. And because of that, we came very close to not having this exchange because of not having a Chevelle Tech site. Al owns and runs this site (and very well) and if he don't permit supplier bashing there can't be any or he will pull the plug. He has made that clear. I don't think that's too much to ask. von

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.