Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dash lights seem a little dim to me even when turned all the way up. Are there any brighter bulbs that can be substituted for the stock ones? Many thanks.

·
Gold Founding Member
978 Posts
oh man...i had same probelm and just attacked it
remove dash pad and cover plate beneath steering wheel (this may have an a/c duct of so equipped

some bulbs are accessible from above while others are only accessible from below

remove them all...remove bulbs from holders...soak for a few mins in muriatic acid...then rinse pat dry w/ paper towel reinstall bulbs into holders & test with an ohmmeter then reinstall into dash

dash pad comes off by removing screws underneath front top edge of plastic dash face then course up into pad... then slide pad backward and out

this solved my problem..didnt need brighter bulbs just all of them working!!

[This message has been edited by 70 SS 454 (edited 02-06-2000).]

·
Premium Member
4,478 Posts
Wow, that was really an involved project SS454!

Sounds much simpler to me, I had the same problem, --burned out dash lights only 2 of the original 5 still illuminated! The ones that light up the speedo are accessed thru the top of the dash, remove the pad and use a mirror to help see and gently un twist the (5) black sockets that hold the type 194 wedgie bulbs at the top of the speedo. REPLACE ALL FIVE at once! Should be much brighter!

Oh yeah this is for a MALIBU, if you have an SS, same basic idea, just more of a pain in the *** to gain access to all the locations that light up the "pods".

[This message has been edited by Coppertop (edited 02-06-2000).]

·
Registered
105 Posts
This is a little off the topic but I read this post and just couldn't help myself.

Since 1968 whenever I get a car with plain white dash/instrument lights I remove all of them, clean them up and paint them blue. I like Testors candy apple/transparent blue paint best as it tints the glass just enough. I love blue chevys with blue interior lights.

That's my True Confession for this month.

------------------
1967 Malibu
1967 Impala SS396 Conv.
"Let me show you how the guards used to do it."

·
Registered
8 Posts
My dash is out. Removed the cluster to rework the whole thing. Replaced all 15 bulbs AND thier sockets. Cost:$70.00. I'm sure it will be well worth the effort.
Just my $.02.

------------------
Steve - Member #464
70 Chevelle SS454/450 4spd.
Texas
Steve's "7T 454"

·
Administrator
16,196 Posts
To get your dash lights brighter clean them. I took the cluster out of my 64 and cleaned everything. The bulbs were covered with dust. The housing and bezel were covered with a thin layer too. After it went back together it was like they were halogens. I keep the dimmer at 1/2 throttle now and turn it to full only when I'm in brightly lit areas. Of course the 64/65 dash is a piece of cake to disassemble. It all comes out the front with all the screws in plain view.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.