Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My owners manual says that the front directional bulbs are suppose to be 1157's all I could find at the store today was 2057 whats the difference? they fit but do not blink(thats not saying its the bulbs because there was a 3amp fuse that allowed them to light for about 5seconds before blowing)I never heard of 2057?

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
I do not know what the 2057 is, but the usual bulbs for the turn signals will be 1157 or 1034 ( a little less bright).
Just hopped into a search engine and found that the 2057 is a backup lamp for a Cadillac ( and more, probably). It will not have the 2 filaments and contact configuration of the type you need. any parts store or Kmart will have the 1157 and 1034 lamps you can use.

[This message has been edited by JWagner (edited 11-23-2000).]

·
Premium Member
4,478 Posts
first off, Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

Actually 2057 bulbs WILL work.

Here's the scoop guys....

1157's are the "old standards", stick with 'em as there is nothing wrong with 'em. They are a (2) filament bulb.

One filament is rated at 32 Candlepower (for brake/turnsignal) and the other filament is rated for 3 Candlepower (for tail/parking illumination).

NOW... A 2057 is basically a clone, also have (2) filaments and one rated at 32 Candlepower BUT, here's the difference-- the less powerful filament is only rated for 2 candlepower.

YES-that's the difference--1 lousy friggin candlepower illumination intensity!. A 2057's "tail" filament rated for 2 c.p. while the 1157's "tail" filament is rated for 3 c.p.

Joe (just call me Mr. Lightbulb database)

------------------
Creator of Team Chevelle's RADIO TECH for original audio questions and answers

·
Registered
42 Posts
a 2057 is brighter than a 1157.......it has a real good use in your older cars with smaller single bulb lights........i use them in my buick as well as one my boat trailer.......

1 - 4 of 4 Posts