Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting to put my engine together today and would like to know what have some of you used for gasket sealer. I have built several motors before and most of them after a little time develop a small oil pan/rear main oil seal leak. I know not to over tighten the bolts and such it just seems that after a few thousand miles they develop a small leak. Is there any special tricks to better sealing quality? Mabey a brand of sealer that is better?? wwish me luck if everything goes well It will be running next weekend.

72 ss 454 convert.

thanks

·
Registered
659 Posts
As far as the rear main seal goes, when you install it, offset the ends from the block so the mating point is not inline with the block. Also put a SMALL amount of hi-tack sealer or silicone on the ends of the seal. Also put some oil or white lithium grease on the lips of the seal. The absence of lubrication in this area can cause the seal to burn up and leak. As far as sealer for the rest of the engine, I have always had good luck with Ultra Blue permatex. Good luck!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Same here Ultra blue,sanitary surfaces are most important. Put a small amount of sealer in the corners,where the main cap mates with the block.Use enamal reducer (or the like) and paper towels to get the metal absoulty clean.

------------------
Harley
69 461 El Camino Nitrous Model
69 Chevelle coupe
71 SS Camaro
75 L-82 Corvette
71 Gremlin X
Kerrville,Tx.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.