Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so my buildsheet is visible with the tank still mounted. If my car is a 307 th350 combo is it really worth dropping the tank to get the build sheet? I know it's had years and years of grime thrown at it.its located relatively speaking near the drivers front corner. And it's still very well 'affixed' to the top of the tank.

The car is nothing special.

Anyone wanna come do it for me?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And yes I checked in/under the seats and also I removed the lower screws on the door panels and peeked up there as well.

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
That is one of those questions only you can answer. You know what the car is, how curious are you about the information that would be on it such as the original dealership?

If there currently is no burning desire you can always drop the tank at a later date.

Steve R

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
I would tend to agree with Steve. Really, it isn't THAT hard to drop the tank (unless things are really rusted up). I did that on my wife's '72 Nova. Build sheet was there but VERY dirty. Blew it off with air and then took some pics. You could read most of it but as soon as you touched it, it fell into pieces. Your call...

·
Premium Member
2,150 Posts
I found my build sheet while cleaning up the tank & replacing the sending unit. I just made a copy & installed the copy back in. I already new everything I needed to from the vin. #(or should I say by letter U). eventually you'll be wrestling that tank out, you might as well wait :surprise:.
hmardown

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would tend to agree with Steve. Really, it isn't THAT hard to drop the tank (unless things are really rusted up). I did that on my wife's '72 Nova. Build sheet was there but VERY dirty. Blew it off with air and then took some pics. You could read most of it but as soon as you touched it, it fell into pieces. Your call...
Yea, I'm thinking I'm in the same boat. I'll rope a buddy into helping as well. Drop it, scan in and then reinstall it.

·
Premium Member
3,595 Posts
Yea, I'm thinking I'm in the same boat. I'll rope a buddy into helping as well. Drop it, scan in and then reinstall it.

Maybe I missed something here: you would "reinstall" the build sheet? Why? Once you go through the effort to obtain it, I would secure it and duplicate it for research. Keep the original in a protected frame or other, most likely very fragile as is.
The duplicate is what you can use for day to day reference, original sale point, shipping fees, special equipment are examples of the many items not covered with the vin alone. I for one would document every step, photo as found originally, lay out and photo, etc. It may only be an everyday Malibu, but it is the document unique to that car and it's history. ( Well, it could be- I know of one car where 3 build sheets were found-"all from other cars on the line, not his".)

Ironic in a way that "Build sheets" can have such value and yet where considered "trash" by the workers, who in many cases simply did not want to walk over to the trash can!!! Now that's ironic! l:)

·
Registered
13,036 Posts
Why waste the energy on a base 307 car?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If I can't remove it.... do you destroy it trying to remove it? I'll see what I can do when the time comes.

And why put effort in a 307 car? Because it's mine. I'm not rich like some car guys. Would I like an ls5 or ls6? Yes. Am I going to put my wants over my kids. No. I'm only 33 and I live in a place with a lot of rich retirees with more money than sense so there aren't a lot of choices to be had. That and Barrett Jackson ruined cars for the common guy.

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
If I can't remove it.... do you destroy it trying to remove it? I'll see what I can do when the time comes.

And why put effort in a 307 car? Because it's mine. I'm not rich like some car guys. Would I like an ls5 or ls6? Yes. Am I going to put my wants over my kids. No. I'm only 33 and I live in a place with a lot of rich retirees with more money than sense so there aren't a lot of choices to be had. That and Barrett Jackson ruined cars for the common guy.
You are reading way too much into his response. I think he's knocking people obsession with documentation and matching numbers. Having a non performance model, like your, frees you up to do whatever you want without the BS associated with a real SS where some people will critique every non-original part.

Steve R

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You are reading way too much into his response. I think he's knocking people obsession with documentation and matching numbers. Having a non performance model, like your, frees you up to do whatever you want without the BS associated with a real SS where some people will critique every non-original part.

Steve R
Oops I apologize then.

I'll just worry this spring about the build sheet. That should be a cheap weekend project.

Sorry again I didn't mean to be offensive.

·
Premium Member
3,400 Posts
If you DON'T do it, you will probably always wish you had....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts