Team Chevelle banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 69 SS396 Elcamino with bench seat and wondered where I might find a build sheet in this car? Just wondering if anyone has any ideas where to look on this car since it has no back seat. Thanks

· Registered
366 Posts
My '71 had one inside the bench seat. You will have to either remove the cover on the driverside portion of the seat back or just slice it open. Mine was in excellent shape too. There should also be one on top of the gas tank as well. I found this one too, but it was pretty much just bits and peices.

Hope this helps!

· Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to everyone for the ideas. I have this car in storage about 15 miles from where I live so I will do some looking next time I get to it. The original engine is long gone but it came with the original turbo 400 trans with the 325hp 396 code and a 12 bolt posi with 3.08s. A big project but I hope to get to it someday.

· Premium Member
15,625 Posts
The original engine is long gone but it came with the original turbo 400 trans with the 325hp 396 code and a 12 bolt posi with 3.08s. A big project but I hope to get to it someday.
Not to be picky but a 3.08 gear ratio is a 10-bolt gear, a comparable 12-bolt is a 3.07 and even the 3.07 would have been an optional rear end gear for a 1969 396 engine. See http://chevellestuff.net/1969/power_teams.htm

:thumbsup:

· Premium Member
119 Posts
On one of my arlington built chevelle it was on top of the gas tank and on the 71 SS350 arlington built chevelle it was under the sound deadener under the pass seat.

· Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not to be picky but a 3.08 gear ratio is a 10-bolt gear, a comparable 12-bolt is a 3.07 and even the 3.07 would have been an optional rear end gear for a 1969 396 engine. See http://chevellestuff.net/1969/power_teams.htm

:thumbsup:
I stand corrected. We bought the car at an auction about 15 years ago and I remember being suprised when I coded the rear axle and it had such shallow gears. I thought that a SS396 car would be deeper and maybe an Elcamino being a pickup would have a deeper gear ratio. I would assume it was ordered by someone to get this axle ratio.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.